Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Prisons - reparations

Two questions:
1. What should be the proper reparation for wrong convictions and time spent in prison? Should a repetition for the time spent in jail have a minimum (like 1 mio $ / year at least)?

2. Talking about human rights of prisoners. They are in custody of the state which should protect them. In case of any violence/abuses against any convict, who should be charged (a state/an institution/personal responsibility of managers of jail/guards)? How much should a convict get for a rape or broken nose?

I guess many posters wouldn't agree here, but i think convicts should have their human rights well protected if under custody of the state. after all, crime is a crime no matter where it happens or who the victims is (please spare me with mass murderers/child abusers and their rights, i want to get an opinion about average prisoner in general).
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Prisons - reparations

1. $250,000/year minimum. More if the prisoner can prove that he would have made more had he not been wrongfully imprisioned, in which case he should get back what he'd lost by going to jail.

2. If a prisoner attacks another prisoner, the attacker should be punished, not the state. The victim gets nothing other than medical assistance unless his attackers have enough money that he can sue them for damages. The only way the state should pay is if they were negligent, or incited the violence. And in those cases of neglect or inciting to violence, the negligent or responsible parties in the prison should go to jail, themselves, and the victim can sue the state for damages. In that case, he deserves whatever a jury will award him.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two questions:
1. What should be the proper reparation for wrong convictions and time spent in prison? Should a repetition for the time spent in jail have a minimum (like 1 mio $ / year at least)?

2. Talking about human rights of prisoners. They are in custody of the state which should protect them. In case of any violence/abuses against any convict, who should be charged (a state/an institution/personal responsibility of managers of jail/guards)? How much should a convict get for a rape or broken nose?

I guess many posters wouldn't agree here, but i think convicts should have their human rights well protected if under custody of the state. after all, crime is a crime no matter where it happens or who the victims is (please spare me with mass murderers/child abusers and their rights, i want to get an opinion about average prisoner in general).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe a person convicted wrongfully for a crime he did not commit deserves 1 million per year in prison. Prison is an awful experience, perhaps traumatic to most.

If someone commits a crime or is abused in prison I think the institution should face some sort of penalty perhaps such as a 1% dock in pay to the whole staff which would teach responsibility to all staff and they would take their duties SO MUCH MORE SERIOUS. Also the prisoner committing the act should be added more time or confined in solitude. Also the state should pay a certain amount of money to the victims family.

What do you think of my response?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
$15,000-25,000 a year tax free but only *IF the person is proven beyond a doubt he is innocent (DNA evidence). In theory the justice system is designed so that it is more likely a guilty man walks than an innocent man be put in jail. In practice unscrupulous DAs (ergo 90% of DAs) place more weight on getting convictions than seeking true justice. Hence they will usually try to get an innocent man to plea to a minor offense rather than to dismiss the charges entirely. In extreme circumstances where innocence is beyond a doubt, they will dismiss the charges entirely. Not because of altruism, but of fear of public backlash should the media get hold of such a story. People can as for a jury trial. If the jury screws up, the state should not be found completely at fault. Limiting the power of DAs will do much to prevent innocent people from being jailed...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When people have nothing to lose people will do all sorts of heinous acts. If a person has a life sentence, they can commit many unspeakable acts with little fear of consequences. If I had it my way there would be no life sentences. There would be executions instead. So executing prisoners that commit rape would be a sufficient remedy....

[ QUOTE ]
guess many posters wouldn't agree here, but i think convicts should have their human rights well protected if under custody of the state. after all, crime is a crime no matter where it happens or who the victims is

[/ QUOTE ]
The average prison guard is a nitwit who dreams someday he might be a cop. They can't watch everyone all the time. To reduce attacks, we need to reduce prison overcrowding.
Releasing drug offenders is the easiest way to accomplish this. The war on drugs is a war on people and many families have been destroyed by a well menaing govt...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM

I like your thoughts on executions Felix. Very nice. I could see this swerving off many would be rapists.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way the state should pay is if they were negligent, or incited the violence. And in those cases of neglect or inciting to violence, the negligent or responsible parties in the prison should go to jail, themselves, and the victim can sue the state for damages. In that case, he deserves whatever a jury will award him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the state somewhat negligent when they allow the violence to occur?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 AM

I would definately say so. It is like people being charged with negligence of sorts at house parties when people alcohol poison and [censored].
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definately say so. It is like people being charged with negligence of sorts at house parties when people alcohol poison and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make prisons cushy, but I think if someone wants to go serve their time without having to worry abotu being beat up or raped they should be able to.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make prisons cushy, but I think if someone wants to go serve their time without having to worry abotu being beat up or raped they should be able to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 AM

Any prisoners who agree to live under permanent lockdown where they have no contact with other prisoners should get reparations if they still get raped or killed under those condidtions.

But you can't have it both ways. You can't live in the general prison population and have all sorts of freedoms to interact with others and expect to be perfectly protected.

Those of us not in prison don't get reparations from the police when we are victims of crime, and we live among people who are less likely per capita to commit serious crimes than those living in a prison population.

We should worry more about crime in general society than turning being a prisoner into a big money lottery using taxpayers monies, where you cash in big if you suffer a crime in prison.