Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Default FTOPS #1 AK on monotone flop vs 52 /27

FTR converter isn't working for FTP. villan doubled up first hand by flopping a flush w/ K2s vs QQ and picked up another big pot flopping two pair after calling a EP pfr with KJ. Last orbit I called his pfr with a small PP and c/f to a small flop bet. Villan has also raised a couple of cbets so far.

I checked the flop b/c I have the best hand here a lot and I don't want to get blown off my hand here. good yesno? What's my line on the turn? If you call what's your plan for the river?

Full Tilt Poker Game #3194877056: FTOPS Event #1 (22618705), Table 380 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:18:32 ET - 2007/08/08
Seat 1: mscell (2,930)
Seat 2: Gus64 (8,509)
Seat 3: MKovner (3,636)
Seat 4: jgunnip (2,815)
Seat 5: chewallcorns (4,230)
Seat 6: HoosierAlum (2,345)
Seat 7: doylle666 (2,820)
Seat 8: OsUBrutuss (2,955)
Seat 9: ShipThatIsh (3,150)
mscell posts the small blind of 15
Gus64 posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jgunnip [Kd Ac]
MKovner folds
jgunnip raises to 90
chewallcorns folds
HoosierAlum folds
doylle666 folds
OsUBrutuss folds
ShipThatIsh folds
mscell folds
Gus64 calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Jd 3d 5d]
Gus64 checks
jgunnip checks
*** TURN *** [Jd 3d 5d] [5h]
Gus64 has 15 seconds left to act
Gus64 bets 150
jgunnip ??
Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: FTOPS #1 AK on monotone flop vs 52 /27

If you think he's nuts you can call two bets with ace high. Personally though I think this is generally a good spot for a free card raise. Make it like 400ish. I would expect him to call and check the river most of the time. At which point I would check behind, every river.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think he's nuts you can call two bets with ace high. Personally though I think this is generally a good spot for a free card raise. Make it like 400ish. I would expect him to call and check the river most of the time. At which point I would check behind, every river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you raise here to hope to just check the river right after???? that makes no sense at all... i prob. just fold this hand its early in the tourney and since its deep stacked you can find a whole lot of better situations to get into a big pot w/
Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 PM

I bet 120 on this flop and I think your rationale for not doing so is a little weak/scared. You've got a nice hand in position against a really fast player, I don't think our immediate reaction should be to try and get to showdown as quick and cheap as possible. Also, you have to avoid playing exploitable here and letting a player get control of the table.

I bet the 120, with the plan of calling if he makes it 350 and checking behind on almost any turn including a diamond (but not an offsuit A or a K) cause I think he'll lead the river if I do that like every time. If he bets the turn we have to fold if the math isn't there (imp odds incl of course).

re: replies, I don't like the turn raise as played.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you raise here to hope to just check the river right after???? that makes no sense at all... i prob. just fold this hand its early in the tourney and since its deep stacked you can find a whole lot of better situations to get into a big pot w/

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression we want to play this hand. That is the only reason. You just call, he probably fires a pot sized bet any way on the river. You still have no clue as to where you stand, I think this is a cheaper way to get to a showdown. Plus he may very well fold to a raise.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression we want to play this hand. That is the only reason. You just call, he probably fires a pot sized bet any way on the river. You still have no clue as to where you stand, I think this is a cheaper way to get to a showdown. Plus he may very well fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

a hand that will call a raise is a hand that will beat AK this is horrible advice
Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a hand that will call a raise is a hand that will beat AK this is horrible advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I guess I will never do this again.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand with a broadway diamond will call a raise and may bet here on the turn since you look scared on the flop.

He will never fold, but hands that you're beating will call you.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:31 PM

Call turn, reevaluate river.

Raising the turn is terrible because unless he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X then he will never call with a worse hand and you lose the chance that he bluffs the river (or that you spike a winning hand and get value that way). Plus, if you raise turn and spike an A/K on the end and he bets big into you you will hate life.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call turn, reevaluate river.

Raising the turn is terrible because unless he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X then he will never call with a worse hand and you lose the chance that he bluffs the river (or that you spike a winning hand and get value that way). Plus, if you raise turn and spike an A/K on the end and he bets big into you you will hate life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising, but not for the reason that worst hands won't call. He could very well be taking the pot away with any hand in his calling range.