Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Default AA vs. donk, ridiculous river card

$0.1/$0.2 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com
Villian running at 55/10/.47 over 49 hands. insta fold? Note the overbet by donk on river. anyone call here?
Stacks:
UTG (<font color="#0000cc">$20.38</font>)
UTG+1 (<font color="#0000cc">$8.24</font>)
Hero (<font color="#0000cc">$22.29</font>)
BTN (<font color="#0000cc">$21.62</font>)
SB (<font color="#0000cc">$18.05</font>)
BB (<font color="#0000cc">$20.36</font>)

Pre-flop: ($0.3, 6 players) Hero is CO A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#777777">2 folds</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.8</font>, BTN calls $0.8, SB calls $0.7, <font color="#777777">1 fold</font>

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.6, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.6</font>, BTN calls $1.6, <font color="#777777">SB folds</font>

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, BTN calls $4

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13.8, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BTN goes all-in $15.22</font>,
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: AA vs. donk, ridiculous river card

why did you check the river?
What did you put him at that point?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM

two pair or better i thought. I'm a little hungover though. Is that so absurd given this donks range?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two pair or better i thought. Is that so absurd given this donks range?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd think it's quite plausable and suspect he made a straight, and I think the chances you are winning are less than 2:1 which would indicate a fold is in order.

That being said, I think a smallish blocking bet of $3 on the river might have reduced the potential for an outright bluff.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 PM

This whole hand was played incorrectly other than pf imo. On the flop bet 2.1 or so and on the turn the pot would be 6.8 so you could bet around 5.75. The river is a c/f regardless I think but assuming that terrible river didnt hit, you wouldve gotten more value out of your hand on every street and had the ability to get the stacks in or close to it on the river. The reason the river is a c/f is because his AF is so low that I highly doubt he going to be bluffing here.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole hand was played incorrectly other than pf imo. On the flop bet 2.1 or so and on the turn the pot would be 6.8 so you could bet around 5.75. The river is a c/f regardless I think but assuming that terrible river didnt hit, you wouldve gotten more value out of your hand on every street and had the ability to get the stacks in or close to it on the river. The reason the river is a c/f is because his AF is so low that I highly doubt he going to be bluffing here.

[/ QUOTE ]
sounds like I misplayed the flop bet.
good point. I was trying to extract value from his K5s -ish type hands. but then the board got gnarly.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Not just the flop, the turn also. If you increase the flop then you can increase the turn. Even as played I would have bet more on the turn though, like 5 or so. These seemingly small differences in bet sizes become monumental on later streets and make the hands much easier to play.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM

How is that river card aweful?

Did he float you on the flop with a backdoor straight or something?

If you were beat it was before the river.

It's about a psb, not really an overbet.

I agree about betting more on previous streets. If you did that I wouldn't have a problem check-calling a 3/4 psb.

As played, I think he checks behind a hand with showdown value (a8s, etc) and shoves 56, 55, etc.

**note: I realize I said I would cc 3/4 psb but fold to this psb - obv his hand hasn't changed and the bet isn't much bigger. Just from the way the hand went down, don't think one pair is good enough here.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is that river card aweful?

Did he float you on the flop with a backdoor straight or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
the river card makes 89, 78, 99, 77 and 67. so now I'm behind 89,67, 34, 22, 55, 88, 77, 99, 78. All of which are flop calls by this individual on this board. not to mention the gutshots/two pairs that came in on the turn. The river card makes my equity take a dive IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 PM

I think you played it well. I'd bet slightly more on the flop as it's 3-way so you get a call more often than HU but that's just a minor detail or perhaps a matter of preference. You can't really bet/fold the river since the stacks-to-pot-ratio is so big already you'd be forced to call a push. The "good" think about the river is that villain's range is extremely polarized: he either has 7x, (( very, very, very unlikely 34)) or air. A passive and bad player like this is almost NEVER over-betting an 8, 2pair or even set on this river. Because there's about no draw he could have on the flop that didn't hit on the river (no missed FD's), there's not really much he could be bluffing with. Hence, a fold becomes very easy.

Edit: spelling