Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Borgata 80-160 AA hand - I get check/raised twice

Can I find a fold here?

Villain is normally a donator to the 40-80 and 80-160 games at the Borgata. However, yesterday he seemed to be playing well.

Usually, Villain is a standard issue loose passive limit player, playing too many hands and calling down too much. He usually does not get out of line postflop, though he does have a tendency to randomly donk scare cards. I've never seen him bluff raise.

Yesterday, Villain played a tight game. At one point, he folded on the button to a UTG raise and accidentally exposed the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a hand that he would usually play for a raise. Throughout the session, I never saw him show down a marginal hand. I don't know if he wasn't in his usual gambling mood or if he read a book on poker since the last time I saw him.

Villain opens from UTG+1, I 3-bet to his immediate left with red AA, and we see the flop heads-up.

Flop is Q96 rainbow. Villain checks, I bet, Villain check/raises, I call planning to raise the turn.

Turn 9, don't remember the suit. Villain checks, I bet, Villain check/raises me again.

I'm lost. Villain will cap QQ-AA preflop. Q9 is a hand that he would play when in 'gambling' mode. 99 is possible but unlikely. Is 66 a UTG raise for someone who is normally passive but seems to be playing better today? Could he possibly be going bonkers with AQ or KQ?

I hate folding Aces heads-up, but I can't imagine what I am beating here.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Borgata 80-160 AA hand - I get check/raised twice

call. aq or more likely kk is probably what he has. horrible fold.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call. aq or more likely kk is probably what he has. horrible fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can say with almost 100% certainty that he would cap KK preflop. This guy is VERY passive postflop, though, which is why I was almost certain that my AA was no good. I did call, though, since I don't know how to fold.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM

folding here isnt good.

people do dumb stuff way too often.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM

I think you just gotta call down and take your lumps if he has you beat. If nothing else, it will give you insight into his seemingly new style of play. Look at the payoff as an investment, which has the additional advantage of winning money when your AA is still good (or sucks out on the river).
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM

The primary reason I can't fold here is because our hand is under represented since we didn't 3 bet the flop. Naturally everything live is read dependent but generally I can't fold under represented hands.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM

guy sounds random enough that folding here would be something you should do just about never.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM

Folding is out of the question. Given your description of villain's preflop play this session, the turn 9 is a very safe card for you. Having ellimnated QQ from his range, you are a huge favorite to have the best hand. If you think he can play AQ this way, and right now that seems very reasonable, then you should 3-bet.

Note that even if you add 66 AND Q9s to his range, you are still a 55% favorite to have the best hand. And that's giving no weight to him playing KQ or a bluff / semi-bluff this way.

Folding is out... it's much closer to a 3-bet. In fact, 3-betting is exactly what you should do unless you are able to strongly discount AQ.

good luck.
Eric
Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Hey drew...i was in this game with you. Having played with villian several times, i was sure you were behind. Like you said, he is extremely passive postflop. IMO under no circumstances would he have CR the turn with less than trips. I think the advice given thus far is appropriate for most players, but my read was specific to this one.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folding is out of the question. Given your description of villain's preflop play this session, the turn 9 is a very safe card for you. Having ellimnated QQ from his range, you are a huge favorite to have the best hand. If you think he can play AQ this way, and right now that seems very reasonable, then you should 3-bet.

Note that even if you add 66 AND Q9s to his range, you are still a 55% favorite to have the best hand. And that's giving no weight to him playing KQ or a bluff / semi-bluff this way.

Folding is out... it's much closer to a 3-bet. In fact, 3-betting is exactly what you should do unless you are able to strongly discount AQ.

good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 3betting this turn is quite bad.