Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Returning to sit and goes

This is sorta a biography of my tournament poker play but I put a question I have for high stakes stt players that I hope gets answered at the end. I am not sure how interesting people will find this.

I just wanted to post this saying who I was and what my credentials were. I think it can be helpful especially in low stakes discussions to have some idea of how successful a poster has been when trying to wade through replies. Especially since often people don’t fully explain their reasoning but give short answers on what they would do in that situation. Its more helpful in my opinion to know if someone who disagrees with your decision in a situation has been successful.

I have a lot of history playing sit and goes. I was able to achieve a 20% roi over 1000 sngs on party. Then a 12% roi over another 1000. Then a 15% roi over 500 55s before I stopped playing Sngs and switched to MTTs. I have also been successful at MTTs making 38k this summer but I have since lost 8 of that playing a variety of games. Currently I have 100 dollars online and will be trying to move up when I have at least 10 buy-ins. I have a tendency to gamble with what I have online which might seem irresponsible but I have never actually had to reload since I lost my first 35 and the reload was for 25. The reason for this is because I’m always willing to move down to lower stakes.

I intend to go back to playing sit and goes but I want to more vigorously analyze the game then I did before. I have found looking back that I was lazy and often I didn’t analyze situations but just 8 tabled probably making the same small mistakes over and over. I want to take a heavily math based approach and analyze situations that I often used to just glance over. My goal is to rise above mediocrity and see how high I can go and be successful.

The one real question I have is whether it’s worth it. It seems SNGS are much less popular than they were in the party hay day. I am a full time student not a poker professional but I will be very disappointed if I can’t play at least 4 (Preferably non turbo) 109s at a time. If that’s the case I might switch my focus to something else. I currently play stars and I don’t know what full tilts sng line up is like can anyone answer that question for me? I would love to hear from pros who mostly play high stakes stts and how many they play and how high.

Lastly I hope to be moving up quickly but I intend to reply in a lot of low stakes games posts and I do believe I can be helpful. I hope this was interesting, I wrote it partially to inspire myself. I hope to be replying in a lot of posts and hopefully posing interesting questions soon. I have a couple of hands from 11s earlier that I think I misplayed that I should be posting later. That’s all. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Returning to sit and goes

Welcome back! You should be able to find enough $109 STT's to be playing 4 simultaneously (<- my english sucks). Above that I think it gets thin.

Welcome (back) to the forums.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Mobiusstri,

Welcome back to the forums. Let me know if you are interested in joining an intensive SNG study group. Details are under this thread : LINK

Look forward to hearing from you

- cheers
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Sngs are way harder than they were when you played them on party. By way harder I mean that breaking even and just making fpps/rb at the stakes you talk about would make you a very good player. My advice is to get good at any type of sng other than the 9max turbos because they have tons of regs.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM

I didnt read all of your post but I do agree with Haj, you should look into some 6 max turbos. I've noticed there are fewer serious players and regulars in these and you can play more per hour, which means you wil make more money per hour=$$$.