Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Ask Josem about visiting/living in Australia

[ QUOTE ]
So Victoria Bitter is like the Budweiser of Australia. Is it any good? What good Australian brews should I try... I have a thing for dark beers if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realistically, assuming you maintain yourself as not being a whackjob in my eyes, you'll come out with me for a few beers sometime, and I will show you the beauty of Australian brewing in person.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 AM

Fantastic.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM

Aussie beer is generally less than impressive. You'll have a hard time finding imports or microbrews in most pubs. The two I really liked are Small Creatures pale ale and anything made by the brewery that puts a lot of writing on the label.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 PM

I cant speak for Victoria (where Josem is) but in Sydney theres a few good pubs with import beers on tap, some are well priced while others are ridiculously dear..

Aussie beer isnt that bad, I prefer drinking Tooheys to Heiny's or Becks etc.. That could be just because I've grown up on it - I sure as [censored] wouldn't consider myself a beer conissieur
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant speak for Victoria (where Josem is) but in Sydney theres a few good pubs with import beers on tap, some are well priced while others are ridiculously dear..

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to public perception, much "imported" beer in Australia is actually brewed locally. It is only the brands themselves that are imported.

See http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...750168516.html for more info.

More broadly, there are some great (in my opinion) boutique and microbreweries beyond the mass (VB, Carlton Draught, Tooheys, XXXX, etc.) and premium (Carlton Premium Dry, Pure Blonde, Crown Lager, Tooheys Extra Dry etc.) stuff.

The boutique brands, such as Little Creatures and Matilda Bay (which are actually linked to Lion Nathan and Carlton & United Beverages) are great beers, and increasingly widely available. This sector of the beer market has been experienced some huge growth in recent years.

The micro-breweries (In Melbourne: Mountain Goat in Richmond; Portland Hotel in Melbourne CBD; Place in Albert Park who's name I forget off the top of my head - Brewhouse?, amongst others) offer a series of distinct tastes. Incidentally, for my housewarming (linked above - www.michaeljosem.com/fosbytour) we're going to visit a couple of local breweries - Rutherglen's Bintara and Buffalo Brewery, with also the Bright Brewery local to me up here in North-East Victoria. A google search for Australian breweries should pop up a long series of results.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 AM

the tooheys brewery at lidcombe (mentioned in that article) is about 2 mins drive from my house [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

while im in here i might as well ask a question you'd probably be able to answer Josem

heading down with a few mates in the first week of november for spring carnival - no doubt we will be hitting up crown quite frequently, any idea what sort of poker action they have down there and what limits etc?

im guessing it wouldnt differ much from what star city has to offer, but thought id ask
Old 07-19-2007, 12:53 AM

djakofhearts,

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...umber=10380293

more info at http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid...woplustwo%2ecom

edit: corrected link. helping someone else with a similar answer solving methodology [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 AM

the first link you provided - did you mean to link that :O?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 PM

From another thread, to avoid a hijack of it:

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is from the point of view [of poker players wanting to migrate to Australia] it appears they're looking for specific occupations and, not surprisingly, poker players aren't on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

However, if you are tertiary educated in another sector, you may fulfill the points process on another criterion.

Incidentally, depending upon the size and nature of your poker bankroll, you may be able to qualify on the basis of investment and/or business streams which are also detailed at www.immi.gov.au

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you be more like the U.S. where anyone can come regardless of skills, health, work history or criminal background? I'm mean, c'mon you're even asking us to know how to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

'cause it's the Australian Government's policy that since Australia is obviously a high demand destination for immigrants, Australia may as well choose the "cream of the crop" as it were when it comes to determining who comes here.

To look at it another way, there's very little extra cost to Australia being selective about who it chooses to allow migrate, when the benefits are quite significant.

I suspect that ensuring that migrants are highly skilled and have good English skills also helps migrants participate in Australian society more fully, and also helps to maintain community support for a very large (by per capita world standards) migration programme.

I have previously heard that there is something in the order of 6million enquiries about migration to Australia per year. 140,000 or so are successful. It makes sense to choose those successful people in some sort of methodical way, which is currently on the basis of three main categories - skills, family reunion and humanitarian migration.

It seems like an obvious policy for a Government to follow - if you're going to have 3% (or whatever percentage) of prospective migrants successfully come to your country, you may as well have the 3% "most desirable" folks come along.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks Josem. I figured it wouldn't be easy for poker players. It seems our best option would be to get a Visa by being hired through a firm (in an unrelated industry) then apply for permanent residency once we've worked there a while. Unfortunately I had that opportunity in the past but passed on it because I was finishing my degree at the time.

That second comment was a tongue-in-cheek dig at current state of our immigration policy here in the U.S. I wish our elected officials would use your logic and common sense but our current president is moving this country's immigration laws in the exact opposite direction.

I appreciate all the help you've provided in this thread.