Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I have tons of thoughts on how to lift back. I think its the most poorly exercised muscle group, and I am way ahead of the curve in that department. Just wondering if there's any interest in me writing a semi-article. It would be directed towards power/body-building. It might be a huge waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested. As right now, the only actual back exercise I do is various forms of pull ups, and supplement with some rowing. I don't want a strong back, but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want a strong back

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]

but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

error, does not compute.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM

I've moved on from Starting Strength to Madcow's 5x5, after milking out about as much gains as I could. It seems much easier. For one, you don't go balls to the wall three times a week; there's a heavy, medium, and light day. And more importantly, you don't do three heavy sets across, but instead ramp up to just one truly heavy set.

SS was getting to be really tough psychologically so this should be a refreshing change of pace. I'm hoping to add 5 to 10 pounds to all my big lifts over the next 5 or 6 weeks. Should be doable.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want a strong back

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]

but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

error, does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular. The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol edit: 0:31

[ QUOTE ]
The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?

[/ QUOTE ]Can't get youtube at work, summarize? I can't tell if I'm being mocked here or not, I'm stoopid. Care to clarify?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Thousands of great (not elite) rock climbers can easily do multiple one-arm pullups. None of them have bodies anything close to "triangular".
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thousands of great (not elite) rock climbers can easily do multiple one-arm pullups. None of them have bodies anything close to "triangular".

[/ QUOTE ]

Realtive strengthaments.

I didn't know if it was the idea that he should ask permission to write an article, needed some sort of validation, or the fact it'll likely be terrible advice that put me on tilt more this morning.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You're right, def. concede to that point. I used to climb a lot in college and was always amazed at what kind of power the skinny dudes had. I guess I'm just referring to people that are mainly in the gym lifting, looking for size as well as strength. I can only imagine how strong I would have to be to break off a 1-arm @ 220#, lol. My 1RM on a regular pulldown is somewhere around 340ish, and I don't think I'd be anywhere CLOSE to those.

Oh and I remember seeing some pretty badass Bruce Lee video's doing a bunch of strength demos, and I was always blown away at how distinctly triangular his back was. Like perfectly geometrical, lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?

[/ QUOTE ]Can't get youtube at work, summarize? I can't tell if I'm being mocked here or not, I'm stoopid. Care to clarify?

[/ QUOTE ]
the video is of some guy rock climbing.