Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Stranger Approaches My Daughter, Gives Her a Present

coulda been a worse gift..

Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM

LFS...
I realize that by your own admission you were caught off guard here, but as a parent you need to be focused and on the look out for EXACTLY this type of thing. This nut job has now perfectly set himself up to interact with your daughter outside of your presence. When her natural reaction to shy away from him kicks in he will calmly remind her of who he is and that Daddy knows him now and said it was OK to take things from him, etc.

If you can still describe him or pick him out you need to go back to that cafe (without your daughter) and ask a few questions and see if he is hanging around there. I do not think it is an over-reaction AT ALL here to call the local police and let them know that they *may* have a child predator working their neighborhood. If nothing else this creep may feel the extra heat and move on.

Also, since you provided a picture you still obviously have the trinket. If your daughter has been allowed to keep it (although I guess not since you state you are Jewish) that needs to be corrected ASAP. Lastly, a little reminder conversation about taking things from strangers AND talking to, going anywhere with them is also in order.

I hate to sound so paranoid/cynical but this a screwed up world we live in and there a lot of really ugly people out there.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM

hamsamich, I think they make medication for whatever's happening in your brain that makes calling the police seem reasonable to you in this situation.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM

When exactly is his daughter going to be in a situation where she's not being watched by her parents?

"Daddy, I'm just running out to buy some smokes"

"No problem, just remember not to talk to any Jesus freaks. And buy me some zig-zags. I just ran out."
Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this totally depends on how old the guy was, if he was 80, fine no big deal, if he is 40, I go a little crazy on him, I really think though that you should have thrown the gift away and made a point to your daughter that "we dont accept gifts from strangers".

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more.

Giving a very young child ANYTHING without asking the parent if it is ok = Not OK.

Giving them a religious symbol is also a special kind of "pushing".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to add because these posts sum up my feelings as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Well..we may be living in very different circumstances LFS. I live in a suburb of NYC but see my share of nut jobs and pedos in the local paper every day. I also have an eight year old daughter.

There are plenty of times when you read/hear about something terrible happening to a child and then after the fact people say things like "yea...I saw that guy hanging around but didn't think anything of it at the time". The point I was trying to make is that if more people DID say something some of those situations might be avoided.

As for the going out to get smokes thing...well..duhhh!! Obviously no one is going to leave a 2yr. old alone on purpose. The point is that there are people out there who make it their mission in life to catch you off guard and get that kid alone, even if it's just for a few seconds. That's all they need to get the upper hand.

You guys can make fun of me if you want. The world is a dangerous place though my friends. Here are a couple of random numbers I just dug up for the year 2002

2000 reported missing children (under 18) per day
Most are mistakes - I thought you were picking him/her up, etc.
%25 turn out to be family members
58,000 are non family member abductions.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM

I just did my civic responsibility and notified the FBI and had them put a nationwide search on for this guy, I mean we gotta keep our kids safe.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:58 PM

How you can tell if a child molester is Jewish:

"Little girl, would you like to buy some candy?"
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well..we may be living in very different circumstances LFS. I live in a suburb of NYC but see my share of nut jobs and pedos in the local paper every day. I also have an eight year old daughter.

There are plenty of times when you read/hear about something terrible happening to a child and then after the fact people say things like "yea...I saw that guy hanging around but didn't think anything of it at the time". The point I was trying to make is that if more people DID say something some of those situations might be avoided.

As for the going out to get smokes thing...well..duhhh!! Obviously no one is going to leave a 2yr. old alone on purpose. The point is that there are people out there who make it their mission in life to catch you off guard and get that kid alone, even if it's just for a few seconds. That's all they need to get the upper hand.

You guys can make fun of me if you want. The world is a dangerous place though my friends. Here are a couple of random numbers I just dug up for the year 2002

2000 reported missing children (under 18) per day
Most are mistakes - I thought you were picking him/her up, etc.
%25 turn out to be family members
58,000 are non family member abductions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 PM

LFS,

You should have had your wife back over the guy.