Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Ugly Turn Spot

All of us at this table were playing something like 24/18/3 or 20/17/3. In between that. This guy raises every button and this time I figured I would 3bet him since he could have a low pair or SC. I was pretty sure I was ahead till turn and I couldn't figure out what to do on turn. Do we put our whole stack in here or what? I really think this is a shove for but I am not sure. What range of hands would villain play like this?

Note stack sizes.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $17.25
BB: $17.80
UTG: $13.40
MP: $16.95
CO: $9.10
BTN: $14.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.80</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.70) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K 3 (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.20</font>, BTN calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.10) 5 (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.80</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $6.50</font>, [i]Hero???
Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Ugly Turn Spot

Tough spot. He's playing for stacks, and we are 150BB deep. Eh... I wanna say I'd fold, but at the table I'd probably just shove and hope to hit my 4 outs if he got the flush.

Why are you @ this table with a buncha TAGs?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM

One problem we have is that our information is limited. I mean, we basically know this Button is raising any two cards once it's folded to him, but what we don't know is what he's willing to call a big 3-bet with. (Some players figure, "OK, you caught me," and let it go, while others are more stubborn.)

Given this ambiguity, many, many flushes are in his range, and this is a very difficult spot. But given his stealing history, I probably get stubborn and push. The rest of the money's going in on the river anyway, most likely.

Another option is to give him credit for the flush and fold, and that is a consideration, but I'd convince myself Villain would have hands like KxXc and J5o and K3o (or even worse) often enough. Some people do get irritated when you interfere with their stealing.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Well it started out fishy but then we got some TAGS and a couple nits but they all sucked so I stayed and practiced my stealing. This was the only guy at the table who I felt had a decent grasp of the game which is why this spot puzzled me. I think he has the float in him to pull trigger like this with nothing which makes this even worse spot. I figured my only move was allin or fold.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM

I'm with Nick and just pushing this
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Well results are I thought long and hard about it and how he folded the last 2 times I 3bet him PF and figured he had a flush this time and let him have it. He said after I folded that I should save my money for the children of Medellin so he might have pushed me out the hand but 80% of the time I say something like that in chat I had the goods.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM

1) PFR by BTN is pathetic. Was this raise from BTN consistent in size compared to other times he raises from BTN? If he was trying to steal blinds, I'd think he'd raise more- 1BB isn't going to force many people out. If this is not his normal raise, I may put him on a premium hand like AA or KK and he wants some action.
As far as reraise- ok if that's what you want to do

Flop- OOP with draw on board, I'd bet pot, maybe a tad more so he's not getting odds to chase. If he has over pair, he may reraise and I'd push.

Turn- Tough call. I'd bet half the pot as you did. The reraise could be trying to force you off a single club in the your hole that could beat his current flush or he could have an over pair and wants to represent something else. I see a lot of people overbet the turn when they hit a potential 3 card flush board and a corresponding high card in hole. Maybe this dude has A c Ax and thinks his aces are good or he can hit the nut flush.

His range- a lot depends on what that minimum PFR means. I'd probably push his reraise and hope for the best. You have outs if he hit the flush.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Read responses (I reply before reading so can figure out reponse w/o others help) - still intrigued by his minimum raise. If he folded 2 prior 3bets he may be pissed you are trying it again and may be trying to break this habit.