Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Default General spot with AK

This is a pretty common spot, but I am really curious to see what people do here. Say you pick up AKo and raise it up, then you get reraised from someone who has position on you. The villain is a complete unknown for arguments sake. What is your line here and why?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: General spot with AK

"The villain is a complete unknown" - I call here (reraise vs short stack).
If I had any information about villain, raise or fold also becomes an option (depending of villains ranges).
Old 10-21-2007, 12:22 PM

First I think you should try to evaluate what kinds of hands he's likely to re-raise with. Has he been really active with preflop raising? One of the best pieces of information is seeing this player show down some raised hands to see what he's jacking it up with.

Another question is how much you have been raising. If you have been raising it up 3 of the last 5 hands and not showing down, he doesn't know if you've got great hands (which is entirely possible) or just pushing people around. So try to take this into account.

If you have been somewhat of a bully, be careful, because in all likelihood many people are just waiting to trap you.

On the other hand, if villain has been bullying himself, I would be a bit more confident in your AK.

In general, though, I would see a flop in this situation. If villain gets raised by someone else, then you know that you're against some big hands and probably want to get out. But say everyone folds to you and it's up to you to call, I would see a flop. The worst you're most likely going to be at this point is a slight dog on a race. Running into AA or KK, try to evaluate that later. Sometimes you will run into them, and have to pay villain off. Just a part of life.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Just to clarify, you have no answers to any of these questions. Assume the table just started. As far as calling the pf raise oop, your default is to c/f if you miss? This seems a little weak as you are only going to hit 1/3 times, so you are giving up alot of flops with what could be the best hand.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, you have no answers to any of these questions. your default is to c/f if you miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, yes, because information everything I can't find a reason why to take the risk (the pot will still be relatively small on the flop).
Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Calling out of position with AK is terrible imo. Just fold or reraise.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Well, I'm not flatting with AK oop. I'm 4bet/calling or folding. AK sucks oop in a 3bet pot. You're going to miss 66% of your flops and be pissing money into the wind. AK loves seeing all 5 cards if it's going to get it in with good equity against the part of a villain's calling range that you'll need equity badly (JJ-KK, AK)

Readless, it's pretty EV neutral to 4bet/call or push (I prefer 4bet, looks scarier.) Which is to say, it's EV neutral to fold as well. I kinda go with how my day is going. I don't like dropping a stack on an EV neutral play to start my day, but I don't mind if things are going well and it will help my image.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM
 is offline

Against a complete unknown I fold, unless he`s a shorty.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Cleaner, you just muck AK against an unknown 3-bet?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Cleaner, you just muck AK against an unknown 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, pretty easy fold against an unknown oop. Also, in general I hate calling 3bets oop with AK, I prefer 4betting, but not readless. Remember, you only gonna hit about 35% of the times on flop.