Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM

Default A question for OOT regarding longtime posters

Hello OOT,

Not everyone is thrilled with the state of the forum right now. One idea that has been kicked around - and one that I happen to think is useful in understanding how things are - is that there aren't as many experienced, excellent posters starting high-content, interesting threads.

Now, I know that there are some very excellent posters in OOT, but I was realizing today that when I envision the forum in my mind, I still think of a lot of posters who have since moved on or fallen off the map. So I wanted to take a moment to encourage everyone to single out some of the folks they would identify as 'old-timers' or long-term posters that they looked up to and learned from.

Yeah these threads are sometimes masturbatory but I have a purpose in mind, and anyway, masturbating is sometimes fun.

I'll start (and I'm omitting mods of this forum and others - I think it is generally known that posters like daryn, El Diablo, Yeti, MEbenhoe, Evan, etc are major contributors). Some of these guys have probably not been thought of as really 'old guard' types before now, but it's freakin 2007.

adsman
Blarg
Los Feliz Slim
Aloysius
tuq
edfurlong
guids
Klompy
phresh
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: A question for OOT regarding longtime posters

I keep telling eurotrash in the chatroom that he needs to come back to OOT.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

Oh yeah, and some info on WHY would be good. For instance, when I think of guys like guids or phresh, I have argued with them a lot, but they always bring their own ideas, put effort into their posts, and have some interesting experiences that inform their thoughts. other guys on this list, i look back and can't really think of a time where i thought, 'this guy is making a horrible post.' and i have thought that about myself sometimes in retrospect.

high-volume guys like tuq and ed have an important role to play, too, because they keep memes going and develop ongoing references and jokes, while still trying to bring content.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

Wait so is this thread just listing posters you like or am I missing something?

My favorite posters are El Diablo, daryn, Blarg and guids (but you listed them all). Not sure if we are only supposed to add new ones or reiterate yours or what.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep telling eurotrash in the chatroom that he needs to come back to OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes plz
Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 AM

zeebo,

what i am trying to get at here is

1. identifying the sort of new 'old guard' now that the forum has changed a lot over the last year or so

2. encourage people to define what it is they like about those posters and try to bring things they want to see to the forum

...and i am also trying to assemble a sort of working list of people who really 'get' good forum culture and participate in it, but that is a more nebulous task
Old 06-15-2007, 02:14 AM

I know you've already mentioned it in your OP, but I feel like some of the "old-time posters" are adopting a "holier-than-thou" attitude which only helps contribute to the decline of OOT.

I also think there's a difference between old-time posters and good posters. I don't believe all of the old-timers are necessarily good, or understand "good forum culture"

I really think this thread will only prepetuate that attitude, but I have the feeling if I don't add some intended content to this thread, I'll just get *'d or flamed or something, so I'll go ahead and say Dids
Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

adsman
Blarg
Los Feliz Slim
Aloysius
tuq
edfurlong
guids
Klompy
phresh

[/ QUOTE ]

NT,

Batting .333, not bad!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 AM

NT!,

offTopic, onthebutton, Eurotrash, and CallMeIshmael off the top of my head are all stellar but I don't see much of them anymore. I suspect it has little to do with this specific forum than their attention being diverted elsewhere, but I do think it has had an effect on the community as a whole.

Not sure that answers your question or that I even understand the question, plus my laptop's battery is going to die in a few minutes so wanted to squeeze this post in first.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 AM

tuq feels like he's been around a lot longer than he actually has because he's memorized the archives.