Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Default You have a dream...

This happened last week to my roommate.

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you. Who gets on that plane?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: You have a dream...

ARE YOU SAYING YOU BELIEVE IN THE SUPERNATURAL??!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm asking how confident are you about your belief/nonbelief in the supernatural. Does it change any if you could just change flights and make it to your destination 3 hours later.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM

I'd tell my dream to as many people as I could so I could get on the plane with the girls team and enjoy myself.

luckyme
Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM

This happened to your roommate or to a character in one of the Final Destination movies?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm asking how confident are you about your belief/nonbelief in the supernatural. Does it change any if you could just change flights and make it to your destination 3 hours later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably get on the plane, but I'm stubborn like that. Sometimes I will have extremely strong fears that I am going to jump off the building when I go somewhere that is high and exposed. I can clearly see myself doing it, in excruciating detail, and I am certain I will not be able to control myself. But I go up there anyway, and, to date, have managed to avert disaster.

My mind is extremely powerful, but so far its future-predicting track-record leaves much to be desired.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd tell my dream to as many people as I could so I could get on the plane with the girls team and enjoy myself.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, this is NEVER how my dreams about the girls soccer team play out.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I get on the plane. I've enough problems convincing myself that it is still very unlikely there will be a crash on my flight even though there hasn't been a crash in a long while.

Actually, reading the posts on SMP has helped with that sort of thing. The logical thinking steps some guys show really help when working through irrational things like this.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM

So let me get this right, you have no prior knowledge of anybody on the flight, yet you vividly see a girls soccer team on the same flight as you and the plane crashed.

I do not get on the plane, and I do not regret if the plane does not crash.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened last week to my roommate.

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you. Who gets on that plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a classic Seinfeld episode where George accompanies Elaine to a psychic and the psychic alludes that George’s life is in danger. George gives his plane ticket to Kramer, who go’s on to have the time of his life - playing beach volley ball with topless swimsuit models and then dating one of the models.

So, yeah, if I saw I was going to be on a plane with a girls soccer team, the thought of romance would supersede any other thought in my head. But then, I’ve always been reckless in that regard.