Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Jena Six

[ QUOTE ]
some white kids hung nooses in a tree (apparently directed at black people in some way)

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone was a jerk to you, doesn't mean that you get to beat them within an inch of their life

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder what is really going here. Am I overestimating the implication of the actions of the white kids(putting a up a noose) because I feel that by doing that it's reasonable for the black kids to feel that their lives are very much in danger. It was very recent in our history where black people who felt the need to stand up to injustices against them were hung up and put on a tree without retribution to the parties who involved. If I were them I would be scared enough to protect myself from them.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM

the noose incident occurred 3 months before the beating, and several legal experts decided that there was no link between the nooses and the beating.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some white kids hung nooses in a tree (apparently directed at black people in some way)

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently...

[/ QUOTE ]

right because all nooses in trees are directed at black people. This wasn't a burning cross.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Errr, I'm very against this "Jena Six" freedom thing that's going on, but I still recognize that those nooses were a direct implication of racism.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of fact, if I, as a CCW holder, am walking down the street and see 6 people attacking one person, in this state (Georgia)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Straight Outta Douglasville

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, exactly who is going to attack you in Douglasville? Mrs. Allen and her gang of novelty shop employees? Please don't say it's for when you come to Atlanta.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone was a jerk to you, doesn't mean that you get to beat them within an inch of their life

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder what is really going here. Am I overestimating the implication of the actions of the white kids(putting a up a noose) because I feel that by doing that it's reasonable for the black kids to feel that their lives are very much in danger. It was very recent in our history where black people who felt the need to stand up to injustices against them were hung up and put on a tree without retribution to the parties who involved. If I were them I would be scared enough to protect myself from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?

They attacked a completely different kid months after the noose incident. It was not self-defense. They did not feel threatened. They ganged up on one kid and beat him half to death.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

From my reading there was a series of events, not just a noose, then a beating a few months later.

It started when a black student asked in an assembly if black students were allowed to sit under a particular tree that by tradition only white students were allowed to sit under.

In response a couple of nooses appeared in the tree. This was followed with a lot of threats and general tension.

There several confrontations and fights where the white students were the aggressors buy no serious charges filed.

Then, after all this build up, we have the final beating.

At this point, with so many people trying to spin things, I don't think any outsider can have any clue as to what really happened.

I think a lot of people, black and white, did some bad stuff and should be punished. By punishing only the black kids and punishing them so seriously it makes the issue completely about race.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There several confrontations and fights where the white students were the aggressors buy no serious charges filed...

By punishing only the black kids and punishing them so seriously it makes the issue completely about race.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this part is much more important than the nooses. This was my understanding of the problems down there.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 PM

That is fairly incorrect though. In the party instance, the black students were persistantly trying to get into private party, on private property; this makes them the aggressors, no? (By law I mean, I'm asking)

But again, one of the white kids in that party fight was charged with battery... Why don't we just stick to one thread?