Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Allegations of racism should be investigated separately from allegations of physical violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want your cake and eat too? How about reparations first, for the physical violence done to americans africans when slavery was the norm?

And when the fortunes have been redistributed between african americans, native americans and white americans then we will look at AC, but not before, when the obvious injustice of the current society, which is still tolerated or, de facto, accepted by people like you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

For those scoring at home, yes, all 3500 of Midge's posts are just like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the a posteriori probability that Midge is some ACist's wacky "stir the [censored]" account is considerably higher than I had realized. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He trolls SMP far more relentlessly than he trolls Politics, so he appears on my radar quite a bit.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Midge, are you just joking around here? Or do you really not understand ANYTHING about America and United States law?

You are seriously coming off as completly clueless. Is this how all people outside the USA act with regards to matters IN the USA? A quick jump to conclusions without understanding anything about anything, and then sticking with that conclusion no matter what anyone says?

Let me break it down for you, a little bit, if I may?

In the United States it is not illegal to be racist.
In the United States it is illegal to physically assault another person.
The white student did not physically assault the black students.
The black students physically assaulted the white student.
The black students committed a crime.

I don't know how it can be made any clearer than that.

As for reperations, that is a seperate issue. If you want to create a thread about that, another issue which you clearly know very little about, do it; don't muddy up this thread with it.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not particularly noble but anyone can designate their house a whites only area. It's a dumb thing to do but it's not illegal to be dumb, one thing that you personally should be pretty thankful for.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM

Obama Hopes Could Rest on Jena Case

"Yesterday, Mr. Obama was taunted by a veteran civil rights advocate, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who made disparaging remarks about the senator for his failure to take the lead on the issue and said he was "acting like he's white," according to a report in a newspaper in Columbia, S.C., the State.

Rev. Jackson's remarks, which he later said he could not remember uttering, have rekindled a controversy from early in Mr. Obama's campaign over similar comments from black leaders who said he "wasn't black enough." Mr. Obama is the son of a white woman from Kansas and a black man from Kenya.

"If I were a candidate, I'd be all over Jena. Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment," Rev. Jackson said.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not an official, or even unofficial school policy. This is simply the way the students chose to act. Whites would hang out under the tree, the black kids would be wherever they hang out.
If the white students choose not to spend time with the black students, or vice versa, that is there decision, it isn't government endorsed segregation. Another example of this, from the same incident; apparently when the students were called into an assembly, the white kids sat together, and the black kids sat together. You cannot force people to spend time together.

And before you go calling me a hick or a racist, I've lived in two places in my life; New York and Philadelphia. I have several friends that are black, and some 2+2 members could attest to that.

Edit: By the way, Jesse Jackson said he totally endorses Obama, and doesn't question his "blackness" on CNN this morning.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Midge, are you just joking around here? Or do you really not understand ANYTHING about America and United States law?

You are seriously coming off as completly clueless. Is this how all people outside the USA act with regards to matters IN the USA? A quick jump to conclusions without understanding anything about anything, and then sticking with that conclusion no matter what anyone says?

Let me break it down for you, a little bit, if I may?

In the United States it is not illegal to be racist.
In the United States it is illegal to physically assault another person.
The white student did not physically assault the black students.
The black students physically assaulted the white student.
The black students committed a crime.

As for reperations, that is a seperate issue. If you want to create a thread about that, another issue which you clearly know very little about, do it; don't muddy up this thread with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really... Really? Bzzz wrong. I'm sure if a white man pulled a shotgun on black students, he'd be arrested for that in Jena too... [censored], wrong again, the black students were clearly in the wrong. Thank god they were arrested. Yeah, nothing amiss here. Go back about your day.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 AM

I wasn't there, as I'm sure you weren't, but as a result of eye witness testimony the police charged the black fellow, Bailey, with robbery, and some other charges (Wikipedia). I don't know if this was the correct decision, I wasn't there.

But, this does not, first of all, constitute assault, and secondly, allow for vigilante "justice", especially in this case in which it wasn't justice at all; it was 6 men beating up 1 man.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't there, as I'm sure you weren't, but as a result of eye witness testimony the police charged the black fellow, Bailey, with robbery, and some other charges (Wikipedia). I don't know if this was the correct decision, I wasn't there.

But, this does not, first of all, constitute assault, and secondly, allow for vigilante "justice", especially in this case in which it wasn't justice at all; it was 6 men beating up 1 man.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find most interesting is your focus on the end of the chain of causal events, but not on the beginning,

I am most delighted for you to let me know that some of your best friends are african americans... LOL

PS You are missing the point. I hope someone close to you points it out to you!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it's "alright." The point is, it isn't illegal. Beating someone half to death is. There are tons of white's only places still in the US. Am I a member at any of them? No. Do I think black people should be allowed to wait at the exit to them and beat anyone leaving senseless? No.

The kids that beat up the other kid are going to be punished, rightfully so. You can't go around beating up people who you disagree with. You should be thankful for that midge because from reading this thread, there'd probably be a line of people at your door.