Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Did I get owned?

Friday $280 Noon tournament at the Borgata in AC. I could tell from the getgo that our dealer would be trouble as he dealt very slowly and didn't seen to be paying full attention or really caring about the action. I really thought he was new, but I was suprised to be informed by an apparent regular that he had been dealing several years.

Anyway, a bit over an hour into the tournament I posted my big blind. Our dealer dealt the cards out at his regular slow pace. I usually take my cards right away to protect them, but this time I was distracted by either the TV or a borgata babe... either way I hadn't grabbed my cards by the time UTG and UTG+1 folded.

As he did, the dealer mucked their cards as well as mine and the SB's (who had just gotten to the table)! The action stopped at this point when we informed the dealer of his error, but the cards were already mucked. Only UTG and UTG+1 had folded but the dealer insisted that there would be no redeal and that the muck stands. The floor was called over after my request and he agreed with the dealer's decision, simply saying "protect your cards."

Since the blinds were relatively small, I didn't argue any further, but I really felt it should have been a redeal. I didn't even have 2 seconds to react before my cards were folded. I mean, my cards were right in front of my chips and nowhere near the muck and the only action thusfar had been folds.

So what's the verdict, is this standard or did Borgata just own me?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Did I get owned?

Protect your cards. Ignore the boob tube and the boobs in the tube top and concentrate on your game...
Old 11-11-2006, 07:31 PM

From Robert's Rules of Poker:

"2. You must protect your own hand at all times. Your cards may be protected with your hands, a chip, or other object placed on top of them. If you fail to protect your hand, you will have no redress if it becomes fouled or the dealer accidentally kills it."

Link of complete rules.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:56 PM

To be fair to you, that does suck, and it's odd a dealer would muck hands out of turn. Perhaps that dealer has a bug up his ass about people paying attention to the game. WRT the SB, it's proper to muck the hand of an absent player as soon as the deal is completed.

Regardless, the onus is always on you to protect your hand. No matter what else happens, if you didn't protect your hand, too darn bad.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:59 PM

Protect your hand doesnt apply here. The dealer has a job too, thats why they get paid more than people with real jobs. He should be able to notice that only 2 people mucked, and where cards are that he just delt out 2 seconds ago. Floor call was BS here.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Protect your hand doesnt apply here. The dealer has a job too, thats why they get paid more than people with real jobs. He should be able to notice that only 2 people mucked, and where cards are that he just delt out 2 seconds ago. Floor call was BS here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the situation you have to protect your hand against.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. Here theres 4 sets of hands, 2 folds, and the dealer had just finished dealing, so he should at least have some memory of who he just dealt to and where. Especially when the two people are BB and SB.

A typical "protect your hand" would be say for example youre CO, and its folded to you and you havent taken your hand yet.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. Here theres 4 sets of hands, 2 folds, and the dealer had just finished dealing, so he should at least have some memory of who he just dealt to and where. Especially when the two people are BB and SB.

A typical "protect your hand" would be say for example youre CO, and its folded to you and you havent taken your hand yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure your vast experience with these matters can correct the rest of us on this forum.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure your vast experience with these matters can correct the rest of us on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a tool. You don't know what kind of experience he has in the field at all.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm backing Randy 100% on this one. Protect your own hand rule doesn't say "Protect your own hand except/when X situation happens"