Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait.

Last night was LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire. I was definitely more excited about LCD going in, but both bands put on great shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw LCD supporting Daft Punk in June (because I wanted to see the Klaxons but got confused as to who was playing where) and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe because everything I've ever seen live became instantly lame in comparison to Daft Punk, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

Been listening to Peter Bjorn and John's album Writer's Block recently (while waiting for the new Radiohead stuff), is pretty good.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:24 AM

the Black Lips are completely insane live.

Yes, I made it to both shows. It was awesome.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM

saw The National Saturday night, they were great.

true story: before the show, my buddy introduced me to a couple of guys in the band. I told the singer some lame joke, and he repeated it on stage 10 minutes later!!

I captivated the guy who captivated a thousand guys. Can you believe that? A thousand guys.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw LCD supporting Daft Punk in June (because I wanted to see the Klaxons but got confused as to who was playing where) and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe because everything I've ever seen live became instantly lame in comparison to Daft Punk, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe so. What kind of venue was it? I've seen LCD twice at festivals-- one on a large outdoor stage and one in a smaller tent with an accompanying light show and such. The latter blew away the former.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 AM

Oh, and I opened this thread to re-emphasize how good the Jens Lekman album is. I think it's the best album of the year and maybe better than anything that came out last year. It could be my sensibilities, but I think, at worst, you will find it great.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 AM

One word- Interpol.

Anybody heard? Anybody want to discuss the intricacies of Turn On The Bright Lights with me?

98% of all people who listen to this album report it changing their lives.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One word- Interpol.

Anybody heard? Anybody want to discuss the intricacies of Turn On The Bright Lights with me?

98% of all people who listen to this album report it changing their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great album. It's also five years old. Their last two have been a slide towards mediocrity.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:17 AM

Ingrid Michaelson, ldo
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 AM

Completely agreed. Antics was horrid. OLTA seems like they wanted to slide back towards the feel of TOTBL, but just couldn't recreate it.

On the first album I know they did a large amount of the engineering/production themselves, and to me what is particularily striking about the album is not necessarily the songwriting, but the arrangements- the layers of sound created on this album are just insane. So many feelings and moments and places conveyed through the sound, it's just surreal. Literally. For the past five years it's been the only album I listen to daily.

I wish they'd ditch the new label, go back to Matador, and make another album completely their own. I'm not sure that they're capable of reproducing their first, but they could come close, if they all put their hearts into it- I know Carlos for one wants to put the 'Pol on hold to write movie soundtracks.

Anyway, everyone in this thread must hear the album! Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 AM

Re: Interpol, I 837th TOTBL = one of the greatest albums of my generation, subsequent albums mediocre.

Anyone listening to In Rainbows? Not sure what the title is referencing, but it's kind of... happy? The standard moodyness seems gone. Overall liking it quite a lot.