Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Small group government (like Math club ,SGA etc.)

It seems every year throughout school we have elected a president, a vp etc. Also, various chairpeople depending on the group.

Is there a more effective form of government for say a group of 80 people besides electing "officials"

We recently had elections for our medical school student government. We spent the first part of the semester organizing things through a yahoo group, and I felt everything was great that way. This made me think perhaps we would be better off disolving our student government. Maybe student goverment will now discourage some of the people who were doing a good job organizing things before elections from continuing.

I have always actively participated in student government type processes (president of this or secretary of that), but I never really analyzed the effectiveness of this structure. I never even considered an alternative. Seems like I should think about other options.

Problems I forsee: seems like we have to assign people responsibilities for certain things or else there is no one accountable. Somebody has to make sure the lectures are recorded etc. (not saying this can't be done without our awesome "student government") I am sure there are other things to anticipate, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Any thoughts on the small groups issue? Maybe it is the ability to form message board groups like this that makes "anarchy" competitive with the old way?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Small group government (like Math club ,SGA etc.)

Student governments aren't real governments. They don't have the power to coerce you into paying for and participating in crazy schemes, confiscate property and redistribute it to others, violently outlaw competing student organizations, counterfeit currency, steal, murder, or enslave. Voluntary organizations work well. If you don't like how the student government is run, just ignore it and keep on using the competition, the yahoo group and other organs that have already been organized.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Student governments aren't real governments. They don't have the power to coerce you into paying for and participating in crazy schemes, confiscate property and redistribute it to others, violently outlaw competing student organizations, counterfeit currency, steal, murder, or enslave. Voluntary organizations work well. If you don't like how the student government is run, just ignore it and keep on using the competition, the yahoo group and other organs that have already been organized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly true. Since these types of "government" don’t really do anything, it has been easy to accept them as the best means of organization.

Any thoughts on alternative structures for organizing groups?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Alas, I have few thoughts on organizational structure. Control your agency costs?