Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Case for South Florida and Virginia over USC, Oregon and Oklahoma?

[ QUOTE ]
There is no case. At all. The computer polls are a complete joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer polls are a joke because of the retard BCS removing margin of victory. Only a drooling mongoloid thinks that how many points you win by is irrelevant to a team's strength. But the BCS thought that Nebraska shouldn't have played in the NC game in 01. So they looked and saw that if they had taken out MOV from teh computers, they would have missed it. So they just did that.

I do agree that a cap on MOV is fine, somewhere between 21 and 35 points. But beating a 1-7 team by 69 shouldn't be as punishing as beating them by 1. Similarly, beating a 7-1 team by 41 shouldn't be rewarded the same as beating them by 1. It's a complete crock and it destroys the best thing the BCS had, impartial computer polls. It blows my mind that they took out one of the most important metrics available.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer polls are a joke because of the retard BCS removing margin of victory. Only a drooling mongoloid thinks that how many points you win by is irrelevant to a team's strength. But the BCS thought that Nebraska shouldn't have played in the NC game in 01. So they looked and saw that if they had taken out MOV from teh computers, they would have missed it. So they just did that.

I do agree that a cap on MOV is fine, somewhere between 21 and 35 points. But beating a 1-7 team by 69 shouldn't be as punishing as beating them by 1. Similarly, beating a 7-1 team by 41 shouldn't be rewarded the same as beating them by 1. It's a complete crock and it destroys the best thing the BCS had, impartial computer polls. It blows my mind that they took out one of the most important metrics available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picture the following situation- you have a championship potential team, up by 10 with 1 minute left and no time outs for either team, and the ball on the 1. Most teams will take a knee here and win the game. If you go for it, you could risk injury of your players. But the margin of victory component means that teams should go for it here. Coaches like Spurrier that love to run it up would benefit and coaches like Tressel that know when they have won and sit on leads would be punished.

If it didn't change the way games were played, its one thing, but it does change the decisions coaches would make and there are negative impacts to the game for that. But I do think it would make the rankings more accurate.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Picture the following situation- you have a championship potential team, up by 10 with 1 minute left and no time outs for either team, and the ball on the 1. Most teams will take a knee here and win the game. If you go for it, you could risk injury of your players. But the margin of victory component means that teams should go for it here. Coaches like Spurrier that love to run it up would benefit and coaches like Tressel that know when they have won and sit on leads would be punished.

If it didn't change the way games were played, its one thing, but it does change the decisions coaches would make and there are negative impacts to the game for that. But I do think it would make the rankings more accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it changes some things. I think an individual TD in one game is going to be a very tiny part of the final rankings, so you may see teams punch it in in your spot, but not likely to see teams throwing from the 30 in a 14 point game. And even if so, why is this so bad?

I think this is much worse:

TEAM A
beats a 1-7 team 63-0
beats a 2-6 team 59-3
beats a 3-5 team 48-7
beats a 4-4 team 35-0
beats a 5-3 team 61-12
beats a 6-2 team 30-3
beats a 6-2 team 35-14
beats a 4-4 team 61-6

TEAM B
beats a 4-4 team 17-16
beats a 4-4 team 21-18
beats a 3-5 team 24-17
beats a 4-4 team 20-17
beats a 4-4 team 21-20
beats a 2-6 team 44-41 (OT)
beats a 7-1 team 28-27 on a horribly botched onside kick call
beats a 5-3 team 7-6, after the 5-3 team misses 4 FGs and commits 6 turnovers

The computers would have Team B as the best team, b/c they are both 7-0 and Team B's opps have a better record. It is a grave injustice, and quite retarded, and WAYYYY worse than a team up 10 trying to punch in one more TD late.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM

But there's also the situation where a team dominates a game, the other team scores a couple TDs in garbage time and the game seems a lot less impressive.

One I vaguely remember involves a Big 10 team that thoroughly dominated the other team and had a 35-7 lead very late. The opponent scores a few late TDs and 2 pointer, then scores again on the last play of the game to make it 35-29. Looks like a close game to a computer just processing the score (or to a pollster just looking at the final score).
Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM

It's not difficult to envision scenarios where Auburn was ill-prepared to deal with a hungry USF team and WVU didn't bring their A-game to Tampa. Be patient and we'll see USF tumble some more when Pitt, Cincy, & Louisville take a huge bite out of their ass. Then again, the entire Big East officiating crew is now suspect after seeing last week's Louisville/UConn debacle...