Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 12:37 AM

Default AK - You slow down and then I will

Amidst a pretty good sized downswing, I want to check up on a quickie to see if the horrendous beats aren't affecting my play...

UTG+1 is 21/12/2.94 over 200. I haven't seen him get out of line.
The button was pretty fishy and on the passive side but I didn't have stats on him.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Haupt_234
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: AK - You slow down and then I will

when he caps it preflop and then continues to hammer the flop, where do you think you stand in the hand?

as weak as it may be, i think he got very scared of the 4-liner to broadway and slowed down.. but if that doesnt come you're either trapped for probably a lot of bets or its a tie.

hes playing OOP, and from what it looks like, was very unconcerned with the other opponent besides yourself in the hand.

do you think he slows down like this with as strong of a hand as a set?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when he caps it preflop and then continues to hammer the flop, where do you think you stand in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably behind Bill, with an outside shot that he had AQs. Although, when the turn comes, I am behind to just about everything but a split, I still fired a bet/fold since:

a.) I thought I would only be played back at by a queen only from these 2 players (making it an easy fold)

b.) I didn't feel comfortable check/folding to the fishy button since he could bet a wide range in this spot

c.) I thought it slightly more likely that villain would continue firing on the turn if he had a queen

[ QUOTE ]
do you think he slows down like this with as strong of a hand as a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have a read on him past his stats, but I am sure it is possible knowing those Party games...

Haupt_234
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM

yeah it seems like you're in a tie or bad shape.. and he has decided to call you down regardless, which usually signifies pretty decent strength.

i also think this happens more online than live, where people tend to have to think more when they cut out the chips for a call, instead of clicking a button. which is something ive been really experimenting with, trying to calculate how many extra bets i may gain if i play more online because of how many silly mistakes a lot of players would make b/c of the differences.

it does sound like this is a tie most of the time, with the chance he has a set, but i do not think he has broadway, it would be ass backwards if he did.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:15 AM

By far his most likely hand is your hand. His second most likely hand is TT. It's really hard to give him ATs or something similar because of the preflop cap. Anyway, I think this is a prudent check on the river.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 AM

I'd calldown from his flop 3 bet. You're often chopping but AA/KK/TT is 5 combos, and most people wouldn't cap Ax worse than AK preflop.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd calldown from his flop 3 bet. You're often chopping but AA/KK/TT is 5 combos, and most people wouldn't cap Ax worse than AK preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered this, but by capping his flop 3bet I face the button with 2 more cold in hopes that he maybe folds a jack or a queen. Also, I think villain had the possibility of pushing AQs like this...

I do, however, think it is pretty close. And I would have went into calldown mode when facing the flop 3bet if it were heads up.

Haupt_234
Old 08-25-2006, 11:53 AM

I would put him on a set of tens, kings or aces. He may have AK also. What else is he capping with?

So at the turn you are ahead of pretty much nothing and looking for a tie. I'd be calling the 3-bet on the flop, check-call the turn. Definitely not folding tho.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 PM

wtf, you considered bet/folding this turn?!?! thats madness!

You could have up to 4 outs to win and 4 outs to a tie combined with the unlikely (but possible) scenario where you are tied for the best hand. (My prediction would be 3-4 outs, 1/3ing the tie outs) Easily worth it in a 15BB turn.

As played, After UTG 3-bets, I call down from the flop to the river . If the button was planning to call the first two cold with a gutshot and a pair, he's calling the last two cold.
You said your read on UTG was that he was slightly passive. Slightly passive players don't cap AQ/AJ/AT preflop, then hammer this flop. He's gotta put you on a possible solid hand.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said your read on UTG was that he was slightly passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I said the button was slightly passive.

Haupt_234