Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM

Default First Phone Interview

I have the first phone interview of my life in about three hours. i interview very well in person, but i have no idea what to expect from this. Is there a general kind of format to these things? General questions i should know about? i remember seeing some threads about this a couple months back but couldnt find anything using search, if anyone has a link that would be awesome also
Old 10-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: First Phone Interview

Just send along pics of ur ex g/f ahead of time and the whole conversation will be about you giving them her # in exchange for a job.

Yugoslav
Old 10-06-2006, 05:57 PM

I have interviewed several people over the phone. Without body language and other visual cues I found myself focusing on well the person spoke over what they spoke obout. Umms and ahhs really stand out. Also, make sure there is a clear break between when the interviewer stops speaking and you begin and vise versa. Make it clear to them when you are done. Avoid talking over them or interrupting. Speak slowly and deliberately. Expect the same questions you would get in person. That's it off the top of my head.

p.s. If that fails, I recommend this:

Jack Black Soundboard 1 (NSFW language)
Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 PM

Yugoslav-

Unfortunately, i deleted those pictures a couple months ago at my current girlfriends demand. I suppose it would certainly be a better use for them than posting them on a random internet forum.

loyalguard- thats the one thing i'm worried about, i don't know how i come across on the phone. i relate very well face to face, but i dont know how to translate that to a phone conversation. i'll definitely focus on the things you pointed out. i wont have a resume with me, but i did type out a brief sheet with work history and strengths and weaknesses and such, should i type out more detail on that?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 PM

NorCal-

I wouldn'tso too much detail...bullet points only...but definitely rehearse the bullets points. You defintitely don't want to sound like you are reading a script.

If you have time, record yourself going through a mock interview and then play it back to see what you sound like. This may help you find any weaknesses in your speech patterns (umms/ahhs, mumbles, etc.)
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Hold the phone with your hand rather than lean it on your shoulder, this way you avoid pressing any buttons. And don't put them on hold. Lol. Other than that just speak like you know what you're talking about.