Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: BBJ Ruling

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't an emergency, but my mom left my front door open and my sister spotted it as she was driving by. I was trying to find out if someone could run and shut the door, before I had all my stuff stolen or otherwise I'd have to drive home and do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel I need to ask the obvious question here...why the heck couldn't your sister have done it?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM

The Louisiana State Police don't make the laws. They enforce the laws.

Thats what I kept repeating for 10 to 15 years.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Where did this happen and who did this? Unless that's what TT edited out.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did this happen and who did this? Unless that's what TT edited out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not edit that out.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 AM

I read the original post. Just don't tip the dealers. And calm down.

-Michael
Old 10-05-2007, 02:51 AM

the fact that you open limped probably means that you should have just folded so ask for your money back and consider what the dealer did a favor
Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 AM

The reason for your phone call is quite irrelevant. Don't answer during a hand, or when you are about to be dealt in. Call them back, they can wait a minute or two.

I don't understand why you even call this a "ruling." Seems to me (if it happened exactly as you say) the dealer was being rather obtuse, but a ruling can only be issued by a floorperson. Your move was to let the floor decide your fate. Obviously your hand was either live or dead before you put in the $5. If you didn't ask for the floor, then it's your fault twice now.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Gee, from the thread title I thought this might be about something else. Anyway, here's a quick/sick cell phone story:

A few months back I'm waiting for the next $100 + $10 Sit and Go to start after getting knocked out of the previous one near the bubble. It's a friendly crowd/place so I'm sitting at the table watching the final three players while finishing my 99 cent hot dog/coffee/whatever.

The standard payout is $575 for first and $325 for second. Three players are left. First Guy has a tiny stack (about 3% of the tournament chips). Cell Phone Guy has about 47% of the chips and the Last Guy has about 50% of the chips.

First Guy with the tiny stack folds on the button and Cell Phone Guy pushes allin from the SB. Last Guy in the BB calls and both hands are turned face up (standard practice in a tournament). Just as the flop comes down Cell Phone Guy's cell phone rings. He answers innocently. The dealer starts to scoop up his cards almost as innocently.

Now normally I keep my mouth shut when not officially in the game but this is a bit much so I exclaim "Hey, hold everything - I think we need a floor ruling here!" So the floor comes over.

Floor sees that Cell Phone Guy has the stone cold nuts. Floor also sees a cell phone still open next to Cell Phone Guy's ear. Floor rules Cell Phone Guy's hand dead. I try to explain that the money was in before the phone rang and this can't possibly be the intent of the "no cell phone" rule. My argument is apparently unpersuasive. So Cell Phone Guy is out on the bubble instead of sitting with 95% of the tournament chips.

Amazingly Cell Phone Guy seams only mildly upset. But he leaves the club probably never to return.

Even though hardly anyone calls me I make a note to turn off my cell before playing any tournament in this or any other card club. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for your phone call is quite irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are wrong. The reason for the phone call tells us something. He deserved this. After all what kind of person gets a phone call about a family emergency and says wait I'll call you back after I play poker (especially since this was a new hand starting its not even like he was already invested in the hand).
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't an emergency, but my mom left my front door open and my sister spotted it as she was driving by. I was trying to find out if someone could run and shut the door, before I had all my stuff stolen or otherwise I'd have to drive home and do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel I need to ask the obvious question here...why the heck couldn't your sister have done it?

[/ QUOTE ]

We definitely need an answer to this.

-McGee