Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
jws,

You have some serious mental retardation and are apparently totally clueless about social issues (like racism) outside of what you see six inches in front of your nose. You act like racism is a level playing field where making fun of WASPs is equal to the sort of institutionalized, state-sponsored discrimination that has occurred against minorities, or, perhaps more relevant to what we see today, calling black people [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still like to make fun with the WASP in your avatar.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist *DELETED*

[ QUOTE ]
jws,

You have some serious mental retardation and are apparently totally clueless about social issues (like racism) outside of what you see six inches in front of your nose. You act like racism is a level playing field where making fun of WASPs is equal to the sort of institutionalized, state-sponsored discrimination that has occurred against minorities, or, perhaps more relevant to what we see today, calling black people [censored].

Edited it back in since gump already quoted me. I stand by what I said, but I might have read a bit too much into what jws was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is not a level playing field. But in an ideal world it would be. I just have a problem with the general backlash against the white male. If I look at a woman wrong at work I could get sued, but she could make inapropriate jokes all day and no one would think twice. I am not saying there shouldn't be a disparity at all because obviously this disparity occurs because of historical mistreatment. I am just saying that all those who overreact being super PC should take a step back and think about hings.

Furthermore I do not think it is right for a minority or a woman to recieve preferential treatment over me. I understand once again that this is supposed to be making up for historical mistreatment, but in the process I am being mistreated. I a 21 year old who is not racist and was never involved in the institutionalized discrimination you speak of. Yet the same people who scream about this all day have no problem discriminating against "whitey" to get their retribution. This is not justified in anyway.

Although not possible in our world today, there should be no double standard and no preferential treatment.

Edit: Also I know I don't have it bad in any way and what little discrimination I see does not compare to what others have seen. Even so, that still does not make it ok or right.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM

If I look at a woman wrong at work I could get sued, but she could make inapropriate jokes all day and no one would think twice.

This is not true, you could easily complain about this or sue, etc. Its just taht 99% of males just dont care enough like the stupid girls do.

I kind of get where you are comming from. Blacks, imo, still experience institutionalized racism, from cops, hiring etc, I personally do not think that asians do. This si the difference I think we are getting at, and i may be wrong, but Id wager that most of teh racism against asians comes in the form of playground teasing, and it seems that they are trying to equate it with institutional racism, which doesnt really happen any more towards that particular group. Im not asian and may be wrong, and i realize this.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I look at a woman wrong at work I could get sued,

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't, at least not meaningfully.

This kind of stupid opressed male nonsense always seems to come from people who've never actually had any sexual harrassment training.

Hint: Unless you're so obviously out of line, she pretty much has to tell you that you're making her uncomfortable before you'll ever get in trouble.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Walking to the Rockies game on Monday, and a guy on the corner is selling tickets, yelling "tickets! tickets!" I am walking behind a group of younger guys who are Hispanic. Ticket guy sees them walking and starts yelling...in Spanish! The guys were like "hey, wtf?" and the scalper tried to pass it off as a joke. They were not happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldn't bother me. In fact I see Latinos doing this regularly. Before a customer at a bank, restaurant, hotel, or fast food dump, whatever, even opens his mouth, the employee starts speaking to them in spanish. I have never seen it make a single Latino uncomfortable, and I've probably seen it thousands of times.

I guess if a white guy does it, though, it's an excuse to get miffed, if that's what you're into.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I look at a woman wrong at work I could get sued, but she could make inapropriate jokes all day and no one would think twice.

This is not true, you could easily complain about this or sue, etc. Its just taht 99% of males just dont care enough like the stupid girls do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've experienced this kind of thing, and it can be uncomfortable for guys, too. It happens.

It's also something a guy would probably be thought badly of for making a big deal about, rather than be able to get righteous or make money off of, unlike females. There's discrimination there.

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of get where you are comming from. Blacks, imo, still experience institutionalized racism, from cops, hiring etc, I personally do not think that asians do. This si the difference I think we are getting at, and i may be wrong, but Id wager that most of teh racism against asians comes in the form of playground teasing, and it seems that they are trying to equate it with institutional racism, which doesnt really happen any more towards that particular group. Im not asian and may be wrong, and i realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something to that.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I look at a woman wrong at work I could get sued,

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't, at least not meaningfully.

This kind of stupid opressed male nonsense always seems to come from people who've never actually had any sexual harrassment training.

Hint: Unless you're so obviously out of line, she pretty much has to tell you that you're making her uncomfortable before you'll ever get in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct. People can, and do, make frivolous claims all the time. And a great many of them get paid. It's simply too costly to fight them.

The effect of a mere accusation on one's career, and general social standing, can't be overlooked either.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking to the Rockies game on Monday, and a guy on the corner is selling tickets, yelling "tickets! tickets!" I am walking behind a group of younger guys who are Hispanic. Ticket guy sees them walking and starts yelling...in Spanish! The guys were like "hey, wtf?" and the scalper tried to pass it off as a joke. They were not happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldn't bother me. In fact I see Latinos doing this regularly. Before a customer at a bank, restaurant, hotel, or fast food dump, whatever, even opens his mouth, the employee starts speaking to them in spanish. I have never seen it make a single Latino uncomfortable, and I've probably seen it thousands of times.

I guess if a white guy does it, though, it's an excuse to get miffed, if that's what you're into.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear, it didn't bother me, I found the situation rather humorous. The Hispanic guys who he said it to were the ones that got upset, probably because of the assumptions the scalper was making.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whites are the majority of Hawaii at 35. But Asians account for 25 and mixed bloods for 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Jeebus, I need to move to Hawaii.

Also, this is super-nitty, I know, (but this pertains to numbers and I am Asian, so forgive me as I am genetically predisposed; also, I'm assuming the above numbers are percentages) but according to the above statistics, there is no majority race in Hawaii.

Also, I'm kinda late to this thread, but OP, if I the same incident happened to me, I probably would've had a similar reaction to it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jws,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still like to make fun with the WASP in your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, who is that? What's the story?

also, yeah, anyone who complains about racism vs. WASPs doesn't know what "racism" means.