Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: anyone who is reasonable at poker, please read and comment

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you could have a look at the set-o-meter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain how to get/filter poker EV to show that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Bottomset nailed it with his post(s).

55k is an incredible small sample size, contrary to popular belief.

If my calculations are correct, if your standard deviation/100 hands is 28BB/100 (look in PT), then after 55k hands you are going to be +/- 2.39BB/100 of your expectation (based on 2 standard deviations, of which you will be in 95% of the time).

Also, I too recommend checking out the flop-a-set-o-meter program. It will show you how many times you ran KK into AA (and vice versa) and how many times you flopped set-under-set (and vice versa).
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain how to get/filter poker EV to show that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a completely different program. Google it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a completely different program. Google it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure if i qualify but..

Bottomset and 1pokerboy are on the money. A steady 2.5 bb/100 over 100k sample could have you at around 4 bb/100 or 0.5 bb/100 depending on how the cards come. Okay this is at the extreme 1/20 (95%) of probable results, but 1/20 is really not improbable nor that extreme, there are more than 20 regular posters per day on this forum. 1 of those posters could therefore reasonably expect to be a VERY long way from their actual win rate over a seemingly large sample size (100k)

Extend this and consider a extremely high confidence limit 0.99%, given the traffic posters might fall into the extreme results category of 100k hands.. so 150k sample size is actually not that much.. cue cries of 'holy [censored].. this game is crazy'.

PokerEV is good but unreliable for the reasons outlined. You can play a hand extremely well and pokerev can tell you its -SKbucks. Likewise you can play a hand extremely poorly and pokerEV can tell u its +SKbucks.

Example: calling 1/3 of your stack with a lower pocket pair pre, hitting your set on the flop and getting AI for the remaining third. This is a +SKbucks move.. 2/3 of the money goes in with you a solid fav, compared to 1/3 with you a dog. So PokerEV tells u this play is good!! huh!! so take it with a pinch of salt.

If you really want to see how you are running you gotta use setometer and pokerev and common sense.

Also, FWIW looking at position stats from a 25k total sample is meaningless as you only have 3k per position and i think we would all advocate that as a small sample size.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Yeah, I always eyplain it like this:

One three-way all-in at NL 400 that you lose with AA or suck out with KK is a difference of $1200 = 150 PTBB. If you play 25 K hands it will make a difference of 0.60 on your PTBB/100 rate. And this is just one hand out of 25000 hands...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Well, FWIW, this post gives me hope as I've been lamenting a 37k .25 ptbb run. And I know I'm making some glaring mistakes...working on correcting them... This game is just maddening! I consider Renton to be one of the best players at these higher levels, so if it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone. I didn't realize just how zany the standard deviations are for nl poker.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's no shame in limping once in a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From memory, very few (if any) of the most profitable players have such a high PFR% (at least at $1/$2- I'm not so familiar with $2/$4.)

(Also, most of the players that do have a high PFR% are losing players.)

Obviously there is no single optimum VP$IP/PFR% combination but I'd certainly recommend experimenting with closer to a single digit PFR%.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow..this is completely wrong...ignore it if you want to ever be above 2 ptbb/100 at 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore it if you want to ever be above 2 ptBB/100 at Heads Up Pot Limit Omaha too.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Ok I downloaded that program but don't know how to makes heads or tails of the graph. If the blue intersects the mid-point of the peak of the graph would that mean you'd flopped a set exactly as often as you should? I've flopped 119 sets from 1128 flops with a pair. I think that's fractionally under expectation.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Narena, what is your ptbb/100 at NL400?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's no shame in limping once in a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From memory, very few (if any) of the most profitable players have such a high PFR% (at least at $1/$2- I'm not so familiar with $2/$4.)

(Also, most of the players that do have a high PFR% are losing players.)

Obviously there is no single optimum VP$IP/PFR% combination but I'd certainly recommend experimenting with closer to a single digit PFR%.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow..this is completely wrong...ignore it if you want to ever be above 2 ptbb/100 at 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore it if you want to ever be above 2 ptBB/100 at Heads Up Pot Limit Omaha too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 AM