Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Default trip aces, good kicker... meh

Here's one that's been bothering me for a while. How's my line and does anyone fold the river? Villain is 24/11, havent seen anything unusual or memorable out of him. Seems relatively tight-passive, but just a general impression. He's i0fear for those who know him...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $673.25
TWP: $648.30
CO: $397.35
Button: $1440.80
SB: $726
BB: $756.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) TWP is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">TWP raises to $24</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($99, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, TWP checks, Button checks.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($99, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">TWP bets $90</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($279, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $559.25</font>, TWP...?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: trip aces, good kicker... meh

i don't think i would ever check the flop here...i know this is what you expected to hear and what you don't want to hear but still. river is tough, doesn't really make sense for him to c/c a boat on the turn and open shove the river(this of course doesn't mean he won't do it though), i would probably call.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 PM

I fold, I think people will do this all the time with a boat on the turn hoping you have a flush draw and get there. That, or he has 66/A6
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM

This looks likea standard villain moron line with a boat. I would have bet flop, but check is fine sometimes. As played though, plese dont let this moron stack you.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

It's a bit odd as you would think villian would expect you to bet an ace on the river and fold anything less to his bet. There are missed draws there, but unless I'd seen villian make some odd plays I don't think I'd call.

Personally, I'm betting this flop almost 100% of the time.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Flop check is gross imho.

As played I fold the river, this is never a bluff/worse ace from a tight passive guy. Also I don't think the fact that you checked the flop affects his river push (or his play for that matter) at all, he's just playing his own hand and he seems to like it
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop check is gross imho.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really think you guys should broaden your thinking. There is exactly one draw possible, and the ace of trump is on the board making that draw less likely. If it hits, it will be very obvious and I'll be able to get away/play for pot control. Most people are drawing dead/to two outs against me. If I can induce one bluff on the turn here, my flop check is +EV. Not saying I'd do it every time, but it's definitely not 'gross'.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:56 PM

twp,

the problem with your flop check is that your hand looks a lot like what it is if you try to get two bets here, and your hand is definitely good enough to get two bets here.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM

um...you're telling me that even though no one else in the world would check with my hand here, that once i check the problem is that it telegraphs my hand?

what i find happening very often is that someone with 66 decides he has to protect his hand on the turn and makes a decent bet and then i call and then he either check/calls the river or check/folds the river but at least i got one good bet out of him that i wouldnt have gotten otherwise. or someone with QJ decides to bluff the turn. or they hit a pair on the turn and check/call two bets. or whatever.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM

TWP, I think you're wrong here. Imo, the chance of someone bluffing into this multiway pot on the turn is relatively small since basically anyone could be slowplaying an ace, and on this board ppl should be aware of that. By not betting the flop, not only will u have a hard time stacking a worse ace, but you're also losing value against flushdraws. The only upside I can think of is that u might get a call from TT-ish hand on the turn, MAYBE