Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Default SB wants to bet after 3 checks behind him

I was at the Borgata this past Friday-Sunday. I played 10/20 2-way for about an hour (omaha HL / stud 8). Slowest game ever.

Anyways. It's a half kill Omaha hand. It gets 5 way capped. Flop comes down 577. I don't see the SB do anything. Dealer looks at middle position player, implying it's his action. MP checks, MP+1 checks, button checks. The checks were not bang-bang-bang, but they weren't slow either. SB puts out 15 dollars. Shouting ensues.

"You checked!"
"I didn't check!"
"You can't bet after we checked!"
"I can bet since I didn't check!"

blah blah blah blah. The whole argument and floor decision takes 15 minutes to clear, which isn't too bad since at this game means I only missed 2 or 3 hands. I will never play this game again.

What say floor?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: SB wants to bet after 3 checks behind him

I would say substantial action has occured.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM

yep, significant action has taken place. If he wanted to act, he should have spoken up long before it got around to the button. If he wasn't paying attention that's his fault.

I *think* (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Once you have two or more players acting after this guy, action has occured, and he is just SOL.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM

To much action has transpired without SB pointing out the error - he has lost the right to act.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To much action has transpired without SB pointing out the error - he has lost the right to act.

[/ QUOTE ] Your 100 percent correct. The small blind needs to protect his action.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yep, significant action has taken place. If he wanted to act, he should have spoken up long before it got around to the button. If he wasn't paying attention that's his fault.

I *think* (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Once you have two or more players acting after this guy, action has occured, and he is just SOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borgata policy is that 3 players acting constitutes significant action. Technically, once 3 players to the left of the SB check, the SB has lost his right to act.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The checks were not bang-bang-bang, but they weren't slow either.

[/ QUOTE ]
As others noted if action occurs in three spots after him then the SB loses his right to act. But in a contentious situation a good floor will ask about the tempo of the action (this is one spot where the dealer is usually the best source of info). If in fact it went bang-bang-bang (or close to that) he can rule that the SB can still act.

[ QUOTE ]
blah blah blah blah. The whole argument and floor decision takes 15 minutes to clear, which isn't too bad since at this game means I only missed 2 or 3 hands. I will never play this game again.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 10/20 o/e mix game the bolded part sounds standard [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

The first floor came, listened shortly, and ruled the bet stood. Everyone goes berserk. Call over 2nd floor. Finally the correct ruling that he can't bet was done. "I can take as long as I want when it's my action"...whatever guy.

He flopped trips with the nut low, so he wanted money in there. I will never set foot in that game ever again.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Off topic and not really relevant, but if the guy has A25x, I'm not sure what everyone else can have that would be dying for a free card but not able to call a flop bet getting 14 billion-1.