Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Why do pros always put their chips in in a sloppy manner?

Why do pros or otherwise accustomed live players seem to always put their chips in so sloppy when they make a bet?
When i watch hsp, wsop or whatever and someone makes a bet that consist of say 5-15 chips they usually flick their wrist slightly just about when they are about to put them down which makes the chips neatly slide out in a straight line in front of them. The dealer then goes on to collect the chips and put them in a neat staple again to be able to cut it and count it efficiently.
Why do you see people like DN and other players which have excellent table manners do this, am i missing some key point here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Why do pros always put their chips in in a sloppy manner?

No. They're just cool like that.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer then goes on to collect the chips and put them in a neat staple again to be able to cut it and count it efficiently.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a habit from playing with smaller stacks of chips (they like the great big stacks on TV, I have heard of them coloring down to get more chips on the final table for TV). If there is a stack with between 3 and 8 chips in it I will normally knock it over if I am dealing so I can see how many are in it. Maybe it is just me, but I find it much easier to deal with the chips if they aren't in a stack (unless they are betting a big stack of chips).
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The dealer then goes on to collect the chips and put them in a neat staple again to be able to cut it and count it efficiently.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a habit from playing with smaller stacks of chips (they like the great big stacks on TV, I have heard of them coloring down to get more chips on the final table for TV). If there is a stack with between 3 and 8 chips in it I will normally knock it over if I am dealing so I can see how many are in it. Maybe it is just me, but I find it much easier to deal with the chips if they aren't in a stack (unless they are betting a big stack of chips).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's pretty much got to be it. Most limit games are structured such that all bets are 2 to 5 chips, and in that range it's easier for the dealer to count them if they're spread out. It's basically a habit.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM

now when you say it it makes sense that its probably easier to see whether its 6 or 7 chips if you fold them out on the table instead of neatly stacking them, thanks. But 10+ i suppose makes little sense
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now when you say it it makes sense that its probably easier to see whether its 6 or 7 chips if you fold them out on the table instead of neatly stacking them, thanks. But 10+ i suppose makes little sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but it's a habit from years of other games. I know I do it sometimes when I play NL or PL, and it's probably inconvenient for the dealers.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 AM

It's ok to put chips in kinda messy when you're betting like about 2 to 6 chips. Spread 'em out and they're easy to count. But at some count, I think around 8 chips, it's harder to count 'em when they're spread out than when they're stacked. So yeah, grabbing a stack of 23 chips and spraying them in is just slowing things down. But grabbing 5 chips and letting 'em spread out as you bet is fine.

The worst examples are the all-ins where they just shove and spray stacks and stacks of chips into a giant heap. And of course the next thing you hear is "can I get a count" and the dealer spends the next 60 seconds stacking and counting 150 chips. That's one of the more common ways to get a dealer to clearly express his annoyance--normally dealers are good about holding their tongue on little things like spraying 12 chips and forcing 'em to stack and count 'em, but when you shove 100 or 200 chips into a heap, you'll probably get an earful.

Can't really answer as to why TV players do it poorly. Probably they just ain't thinking about it.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 PM

i HATE when guys do this at NL.. They want to do some intimidating "shove in a pile" move I guess. Then the dealer has to count and we all sit around. Net result is they have a lot of time to get nervous, I think it defeats the purpose.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves as a dealer. It can apply to limit games too; for example when the two, three, and four seat all have four bets in on the flop in a 20-40 game with $5 chips.

Hope you guys like wasting time watching me cut stacks, cuz I'm going to do it every time
"Did I put in the right amount?"
I don't know sir, it'd be a lot easier for me to answer you if half your chips weren't on the other side of the table though!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM

I can see how that would be horrible in NL. I tend to flick chips in while playing limit games for one bet. Anything more than that and I make equal stacks, and then knock one over so everyone can see how many chips are in all of them.