Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: What Can A Dealer Do To Earn An Extra Tip

[ QUOTE ]
I've had more than one player get annoyed at me for wishing him luck (and I rarely do it).

[/ QUOTE ]
Since most poker players have MASSIVE egos and greatly over-estimated their skill....I would propose that that these players are NOT TRULY annoyed for you wishing them luck. They are just using the opportunity to show-off in front of the table that they are big-dick 'skillful' players. I would rather a new dealer say, 'Welcome to the table" (with a happy tone as oppose to a dull monatone) or say "Good luck". If the show off player spouts off about luck.....then I use self depreciating humor. "Well for players like me, I need the luck".

[ QUOTE ]
You want to be docked 10% of your pay because of one little easily correctible not even on the radar mistake? Lighten up a bit, c'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the end, as long as the pot is correctly pushed to me I don't mind and tip. If I do finally get my correct change, I will still tip on winning pots. However, I will lose confidence in the dealer and watch him more closely. I'v been DQ for a $120 pot because a dealer fell asleep. So I will get my $120 back from that nitwit dealer in his tips. My post for this DQ pot had a poll where the results were OVERWHELMINGLY in my favor so I don't think I'm being petty. This dealer did not do his job so he does not deserve tips. Let him wait tables or clean bathrooms instead. There are TONS of dealers that want card room jobs and they deserve the opportunity for a job....dealers like the nitwit described are in the wrong profession. I have personally seen this dealer make several screw-ups involving shorting people money, awarding the wrong pot, making bad reads on the river, and my DQ pot. I have been thinking about complaining to the card room manager about this guy but I have not pulled the trigger just yet. I told myself....one more foul-up and I will complain. There are just too many dealers that would love the opportunity to have his job.

[ QUOTE ]
I try my damndest to enforce the rules, but when I'm the only dealer on the floor doing it, it's sisyphean. I do what I can to keep the circus under control, but a lot of times I'll end up harping down on something that the table preferred to have the fish continue doing. It's helpful for me to have a player say something, as that gets the conversation going and lets me know where the table as a whole feels about it. I'm way more of a nit about rules than any other dealer during my shift (and most of the players), but I still have to cut a lot of slack in a lot of places.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree some common sense needs to be applied to the rules rather than making everything black and white. I will give you an example. There is a no cell phone rule while in a hand rule at my card room. A player was sending text messages and corrected. He said, "OK" and he played his hand. He did it again and was corrected. He did it a 3rd time and was corrected. The table was getting irritated at this guys selfishness. IMO.....the proper play of the dealer was after two warnings was to quietly muck the guys hand and continue the action. The guy would learn his lesson. If the guy complained. A player like me would throw the dealer a $1 chip saying "Thanks, for enforcing the cell phone rules. These guys really slow the game down". So usually they cell-phone guy now views me as the prick and lets the dealer off the hook. Even if there is not a prick like me at the table, the other players will be silently thankful towards you. Since 8 is greater than 1, play the odds with regard to making the table happy.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM

What Can A Dealer Do To Earn An Extra Tip

I tip a dollar a hand unless the pot is microscopic. The way to get more tips from me, is to deal more hands per hour.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Groovy, sounds like you're the kind of player I want in my game. Regarding the luck... well, these are low limits. When I was green, I did a "good luck all-in" and some guy flipped out, saying that wishing good luck was a quick recipe for having bad luck, etc. It's not because of that that I don't wish good luck, that just happened to be one of my "well, everyone else says good luck, let's give it a shot" times. People are nutty, whaddaya gonna do.

From a different post...

[ QUOTE ]
I tip a dollar a hand unless the pot is microscopic. The way to get more tips from me, is to deal more hands per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had players become irritated at me for going too fast. Not for rushing, which can cause mistakes, but for simply pitching quickly and trying to move the game along. You can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when I was tipsy and slightly bored at a tight table I held the dealer olympics...

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. I know we're trained monkeys, but do you have to treat us like one? Pretend the dealer is your mother. You're going to make her jump through hoops for your amusement and a dollar a pop?

I may be going a bit extreme, and I'm sure it was at least mildly amusing for those involved, but re-read what you wrote and extrapolate a bit.

We're people, y'know. Most seem to forget this. I feel like a whore enough already (mostly from the handjobs, but that's a separate issue).

[/ QUOTE ]

My attitude was far from condescending and it was fun, I dont think any dealer objected to vying for an EXTRA tip from trying to do something fun. (half the time if it was a good try I gave the tip anyways)
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when I was tipsy and slightly bored at a tight table I held the dealer olympics...

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. I know we're trained monkeys, but do you have to treat us like one? Pretend the dealer is your mother. You're going to make her jump through hoops for your amusement and a dollar a pop?

I may be going a bit extreme, and I'm sure it was at least mildly amusing for those involved, but re-read what you wrote and extrapolate a bit.

We're people, y'know. Most seem to forget this. I feel like a whore enough already (mostly from the handjobs, but that's a separate issue).

[/ QUOTE ]

My attitude was far from condescending and it was fun, I dont think any dealer objected to vying for an EXTRA tip from trying to do something fun. (half the time if it was a good try I gave the tip anyways)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a few regulars that do this when it's their button...

I've never viewed it as "dancing for my dinner" so to speak. I just see it as lighthearted fun, something that breaks the sometimes monotony of dealing, and usually everyone enjoys it.

Good thread BTW [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM

#1 way to get more tips- be a professional- deal quick, no mistakes, no dirty looks, keep the hands moving. if you deal more hands per hour that is more tips per hour. if you run the game with no mistakes there will be more hands per hour= more tips.

i don't mind a chatty dealer if they can do the above- most can't and should shut up and concentrate on dealing
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: it\'s really quite simple

[ QUOTE ]
Female and super hott, I tip more.

Female and super b****, I tip less.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if she's a super 'hott' b****? Tip more or less?
What if she's a smart and quick, but homely dealer? Tip more or less?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: it\'s really quite simple

I have a confession to make: the first few times I played in Vegas I didn't tip. I didn't know I was supposed to. Then I noticed other players doing it, so on the rare hands I won I tipped. The biggest tip I left was after a multi-way pot that I won with case 5s and tipped 8 dollars. I was so breathless after such win, tho, that I'm glad I remembered.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-The dealer gives me the time pot out of the pot without me asking (sometimes with me asking)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually sort of don't like when they give you the time without asking since sometimes they aren't aware who's out of the time pot, if you're waiting a hand, whether you're doing it on first flop or a certain pot size, etc. It's also an arrangement between the players and doesn't really involve them.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 way to get more tips- be a professional

[/ QUOTE ]