Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 AM

Default 3/6 Pokerstars Flop Heads Up Question

I'm way out of practice.

Decent 3/6 Pokerstars fast full game.

I get dealt 88 utg and raise. The guy to my left 3-bangs. It folds around to me and I call.

Flop (7.33 SBs)KT3, 2 spades

I check raise, and fold to a 3-bet. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 AM

Default Re: 3/6 Pokerstars Flop Heads Up Question

I think preflop is good.

Do you have any reads or statistics on the villain?

I don't think you'll take this down at the flop very often. What do you plan on doing if he calls your flop raise and a blank hits the turn? What if a scare card hits the turn?

I would check-fold that flop against an unknown.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 AM

I generally only use this move if I'm calling a single raise preflop. For example, if I was in the BB and was heads up against an EP/MP raiser...and even then, I want to know both that the opponent is aggressive enough to raise preflop with hands that missed/fear this flop and is capable of folding AQ, JJ, etc postflop. Also of course it helps if the villain views me as a solid/straightforward player...not that many people do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There are plenty of reasons why I don't like it here:

-You're looking at an UTG+1 3bet of an UTG raise. Unless he thinks you're a maniac (or he's a maniac), that's gonna be a huge hand every single time. And if one or the other maniac conditions apply, he's not folding a better hand anyway.
-The pot is big enough that he's obliged to at least call your c/r with AQ/AJ, if he 3bet with those in the first place.
-Given a normal 3betting range in this scenario, it's very unlikely that the flop brought more than one overcard to any pocket pair he's holding. And again, big pot, he's not folding it immediately, and may well 3bet for a 1 BB showdown.

I think you're best off check/folding the flop in this hand, although I don't mind taking a shot every once in a while as a change of pace.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 AM

I had no reads or stats on vilain at the time. Although, I think the important thing is probably what my pfr% has been in the 2 orbits since I sat. I'm not sure if I'm giving anyone a reason to isolate me, or if the average 3/6 Stars player even knows what that means.

I was planning on check/folding turn unimproved, but I suppose check/fold flop is not giving up too easily? Lately I've had the attitude that it takes more than a single action to convince me of anything, esp short-handed. I'm thinking most of the time I'd risk some chips to sell that I like my hand, and see what villain's response is. Even then, villain should have a hand that makes sense for me to not call to showdown.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:23 AM

I have no problem Check/folding this flop. You're almost always behind and little chance of winning the pot with aggressive play. I like this play alot, but not with this board.

Basically you're hoping he has AQ, which still has position and will win something like 40% of the time anyway. Or he'll fold QQ or JJ(very unlikely).