Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Post a childhood memory

Okay, things have gone very bad in my life this week [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Inspired by Myrtle's awesome post, thought it might cheer me up if people shared a memory from their childhood. Don't worry about making it long. Little memories are cool too.

Just tell me something about your childhood that makes you smile. It will perk me up!

So I’ll start.

A year ago my oldest sister told me she had almost no good memories of our childhood. I was like wow, you've got to be kidding! We had a pretty nice childhood. She looked at me kind of funny and said "We did ?" Disgusted, I tried to submit to her some good memories of our childhood to prove her wrong. I was like ok here you go, how about that one time when…no wait, that one sort of sucked. Hm, well ok there was that other time…no wait, that one was followed by mom screaming at us and then everyone crying. Gah, how did this happen? It would appear a lot of my good memories have been overrun with sad ones [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Man, my childhood kinda sucked!

Anyway, a year has passed now, and here I still sit trying to remember what it was to be a kid and the things we did back then for fun. Here's what I remember...

Ice Skates

I remember in the winter going ice skating all the time with my sisters and friends. That was so cool. You can't even imagine how fun it was, ice skating in the evening with so many good songs playing over the speakers (usually classic rock). It was outdoors and the cold wind would whip at our faces and ears until we thought our skin would crack. We always had funny hats. My mom would actually knit them for us. I don’t know why. It was her thing I guess. Occasionally I would get new skates for Christmas and that was a pretty big deal.

I remember playing tag on the ice rink, and watching the cute boys, and learning to skate backwards. I remember making my sisters laugh as I showed off for them, attempting to run on the ice in my skates (I luv doing that) and trying to imitate the boys jumping in the air with both feet. I was not too shy back then. For some reason the ice really brings out your personality. I remember going indoors to warm up when I couldn't take the cold anymore and getting candy from the candy machines. Chilled reeses cups rule! I can still smell the old room with the benches and shoe shelves and hear the kids talking and yelling at each other. Mostly I remember laughing a lot. (Now that I think of it, I really enjoy walking around on skates indoors. Now there’s a great feeling, being so tall.)

When we were older we would search the rink for boys to flirt with and we would try to act confident and cool. That was always a challenge. It was a big deal if eye contact was made. Even when I was little I was boy crazy. I was never a great skater and I didn’t take it seriously the way my sisters did. They would practice their edges and I would practice flying into the boards, perfecting my dramatic stops. I was not too skilled.

Anyway, that is my best recollection from childhood at the moment. I wish I had kept up with my skating like my one sister. To this day she still skates and has really advanced. If I had continued maybe I wouldn’t have such puny weak legs.

Ok, so now will you tell me some memory of your childhood to cheer me up?