Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Vegas TI Donkament - 2 pair on flush draw

Let me paint a picture and hopefully encourage some responses related to variation in play and how to profit whilst mired in a donkament. (I apologize for the formatting)

I'm early in a 40-person live $65 buy-in at TI in Vegas. I realize early that, humbly, I'm likely one of the better players at the table. One guy is talking incessently about his bad luck chasing flushes and practically jumps up and down when he hits one saying stuff like "finally, things are going my way". I'm drooling as his stack grows thinking it's going to be mine soon. I guy with 7-4os calls me down with bottom pair after I lead out and I lose the hand (admittedly, I played it beyond poorly). So, I'm thinking to myself the entire time: "just wait for your moment". And here it comes:

I'm dealt A9os in the big blind. Two players limp in. I call. The flop comes:

A-4-3 (all spades)

I make a continuation bet to see where I am and these guys call. I'm absolutely sure that both guys are chasing the flush with one card. The next card is:

9d

Here's my question and I hope others have some experience with this. There are two thoughts that cross my mind:

1. Make a min-raise, get these guys to call and come along thinking that I'm doing what they're doing, then extract another bet from each when the river doesn't fall.

2. Push and deny them the odds to chase, thereby taking down kind of a small pot.

My stack is slightly depleted at this point, so I would prefer to get really healthy as opposed to a little healthy. What's your approach here?

I decided to go with option #1 because I felt that even if I made the statistically correct play in denying them calling odds, they wouldn't know not to call. Since they were both donks, I figured one of them would absolutely call me. Better to sucker them in and have the option to fold if another spade came down rather than jeopardize my whole stack. My normal play in the this situation would be to shove.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Vegas TI Donkament - 2 pair on flush draw

I play TI's $60 tournaments often.

I would push. TI donks aren't sophisticated enough to fall for a fancy play. When you have the goods, bet. Most likely you will be paid off.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Vegas TI Donkament - 2 pair on flush draw

3. Push and have them chase anyway, thereby taking down a big pot when they miss.

You're passing up a lot of equity by only getting a little bit in on the turn, because you're probably not getting anything on the river when they miss. Your edge over the other players just can't be so large that you can pass up EV in spots like this.