Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Programmers, help fight the UIGEA from the bottom up.

I read this thread with considerable interest.

Open Source Post

Here is what I think could come from it.

Suppose some of you really talented programmers were to get this software into a completely usable form that could be downloaded to any PC. And suppose it were clean enough and compact enough that a normal PC could act as a game server, serving perhaps a dozen tables or so. And, suppose it was easy enough to load up and get running by idiots like me. And suppose it was a completely functional poker hosting package able to do most the normal things we have come to expect from poker site. Not fancy, but capable.

So now anyone that wishes to could host an internet homegame. It is all completely legal most places as long as it is not being run for pay in any form.

So all across the country we have people getting together on the internet and playing poker together. There can be hundreds of these homegrown networks, and thousands of games going at once. Some games will become 24/7.

The participants can buy the host a case of beer for his trouble, or offer to pay their Broadband bill, or make a "donation", again, perfectly fine as long as it is completely voluntary.

And, of course, there will be some folks who "bend" the rules a bit on the "voluntary" part. In fact, the first thing to come out of it will be some very creative ways to "bend" these rules.

There will be a darwinian process of weeding out the scammers and word will get around as to who runs a clean operation, ("bending" the rules notwithstanding) and who's wife is completely honest handling the money.

This all sounds very much like how internet poker first came about, except now we can have (I hope) really good software.

It also sounds very much like how the underground live games are organized. But they are indeed breaking the law in most places by charging in some form.

Imagine the DOJ etc going crazy trying to figure out which games are completely legal, which are "bending" too much, and which are outright for profit underground internet game sites.

Take THAT Kyl and Frist. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So I sincerely hope somebody can make it happen. Even if you were to charge a hundred bucks or so far a finished turnkey poker package, I imagine it would be quite popular.

But mostly, we would want to do it to stick it in the eye to the jacka$$es who were behind the UIEGA.

And we would expect MGM, Harrahs, et al to really start to bend some arms to get commercial big site poker completely legal in the US.

Just thinking out loud here.

Tuff << I will log onto the first site to get running.

PS: I can see a new sub forum here, "Internet Home Games" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Programmers, help fight the UIGEA from the bottom up.

This is the way to go. The only thing that is lacking is the payment system. Slap a peer to peer smart card system on it and you have a winner.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 PM

gl with that.

what happened to the zero rake site?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gl with that.

what happened to the zero rake site?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just heard how to have a couple hundred of them.

Tuff
Old 11-18-2007, 04:23 PM

really, really bad idea.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 PM

really really great idea!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The participants can buy the host a case of beer for his trouble, or offer to pay their Broadband bill, or make a "donation", again, perfectly fine as long as it is completely voluntary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just allowing this option will make your site illegal in many states. Kyle and company plus the DOJ will look for any loophole to shut this down.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM

donations arent legal, its still rake and in most states its very much illegal.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is illegal if it is given explicitly in return for the right to play, and if failure to give results in not being allowed to play. That will be the first test any AG will try.

If your wife calls my wife and say Bob needs some bucks to keep the game going, and doesn't specify any particular amount, and does not make the giving of a donation a requirement for continued participation, then the AG just whiffed.

NO DA or AG is going to bring such a ludricous case into any court.

Only if playing poker in your home for money is illegal can there be a case to be brought.

Tuff

Anyway, I am not going to argue this point further. You guys don't know what you are talking about. Find some other objection to justify your continued defense of the grinder mills.

You know what. Most of you are terrified that somehow myself or someone will indeed make something like this work, and you will lose whatever meager supply of fish that are left on Full Tilt , Stars etc.

The very first US sanctioned online poker site that begins operations in the US, with easy funding on and off, whatever the form of the poker site, will decimate the current sites that you guys play on. You are positively horrified it might be something like I envision as opposed to the return of Party Poker.

That is why it is so easy to spin you up, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and that is why so much hate. You have fear.

TF
Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is illegal if it is given explicitly in return for the right to play, and if failure to give results in not being allowed to play. That will be the first test any AG will try.

If your wife calls my wife and say Bob needs some bucks to keep the game going, and doesn't specify any particular amount, and does not make the giving of a donation a requirement for continued participation, then the AG just whiffed.

NO DA or AG is going to bring such a ludricous case into any court.

Only if playing poker in your home for money is illegal can there be a case to be brought.

Tuff

Anyway, I am not going to argue this point further. You guys don't know what you are talking about. Find some other objection to justify your continued defense of the grinder mills.

You know what. Most of you are terrified that somehow myself or someone will indeed make something like this work, and you will lose whatever meager supply of fish that are left on Full Tilt , Stars etc.

The very first US sanctioned online poker site that begins operations in the US, with easy funding on and off, whatever the form of the poker site, will decimate the current sites that you guys play on. You are positively horrified it might be something like I envision as opposed to the return of Party Poker.

That is why it is so easy to spin you up, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and that is why so much hate. You have fear.

TF

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say it actually is considered legal status(legal or not it wouldnt be looked at as legal) why would a payment processor continue doing business with a poker site when they dont do it with other poker sites?

I dont like your efforts because you're very smallminded in the aspects of external software and multitabling, and I think your a harm to real efforts if you make these things big issues. Fact is it should be the players choice how many tables to play, NOT a sole individual choosing for the masses just because that individual is too slow to actually accomplish multitabling/understanding how to work a basic hud himself.