Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Ask me about financial success to spending 2 years state prison

You guys should watch The Wire or do some research about how these government agencies work. They have other priorities over doing the best job possible.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would seroiously like to know why you think I broke the law.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I answered: he went to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was charged with 18 counts, 18 different crimes. If the government sets out to [censored] you, you are either going to need some ridiculously good lawyers or you are going to jail. Look at MTR's story. He was a college kid and had some liquid based drug and they were able to charge him with the entire weight of the liquid+drug, not just the drug. Why? Because that drug was just getting popular and they needed to meet a quota.

Government just cares about meeting quotas and keeping their competitionless careers moving forward, not following a logical format or actually making a difference.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM

I told my wife about this. She laughed. She worked at Dean Witter (a respected firm in the day) and said there were violations left and right.

One of my good friends worked as a stockbroker at a mid-tier firm. One of his co-workers produced adult movies on the side. Another guy there was my bookie. Every stock they peddaled came with they have some inside info. They never did valuations or looked at analysts reports. That type of analysis was for suckers. And many times they were right!

Look at the Wall Street Journal. Scores of brokers are disciplined for major and minor infractions. Virtually all just end up paying a civil fine and losing their license. Even though the penalties could (and should) be jail.

From what I know and my wife knows, it sounds political. Sometimes people are needed to make an example to others and you just got bad-beated there.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting thread, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going to jail is evidence that you broke the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is simply flat out wrong, 100%.

Going to jail is evidence only that he was convincted of a crime, not that he committed it. www.dictionary.com and then look up "evidence"

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how like no one is able to see what knee is saying

He is NOT saying that the fact OP went to prison is proof that he committed a crime. He is just saying that information makes it very likely he did. This is evidence in the same way the stat posts from the AP scandal were evidence of cheating.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM

I think most people just don't care about that aspect of the argument.
"OMG...did he REALLY do something wrong?!?!"
Who cares?
He's explained his position quite well and doesn't really care otherwise I think. He knows what he did or didn't do.

It's up to you whether to believe him or not so all this back and forth sillyness about, "OMG...you accepted a plea therefore you are a criminal" is just idiotic.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most people just don't care about that aspect of the argument.
"OMG...did he REALLY do something wrong?!?!"
Who cares?
He's explained his position quite well and doesn't really care otherwise I think. He knows what he did or didn't do.

It's up to you whether to believe him or not so all this back and forth sillyness about, "OMG...you accepted a plea therefore you are a criminal" is just idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, I havent really read the thread too carefully, and think he probably got dicked over by the DA, though it wouldnt *completely* shock me if the details, as presented, cast the OP in a nicer light than does the truth.

That said, [ QUOTE ]
"OMG...you accepted a plea therefore you are a criminal" is just idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

is, assuming it was in reference to either what I said, or Knee's comments in this thread, just silly. A statement like "the fact OP is in jail makes it a favourite/big favourite that he was guilty of a crime" is clearly miles away from "guy accepted a plea, therefore he is guilty"
Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

awesome thread... more stories plz [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, I havent really read the thread too carefully, and think he probably got dicked over by the DA, though it wouldnt *completely* shock me if the details, as presented, cast the OP in a nicer light than does the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in principle in what you said. However, there is so much more factual stuff I could have written that would give the readers of the post little doubt that I was railroaded. That being said If the DA was to start a thread on here, I am sure he could write things that would make people believe the contrary.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Having been in legal trouble myself, I know that, sometimes a plea bargain sounds like the best idea.

I was arrested when I was 18 on a felony charge. It was a trumped up vandalism charge, but what can you do? When the judge told me how long the max sentence would be if I was convicted, I was sure as hell thinking "Plea Bargain.. NOW!!" Luckily my lawyer had prepared me and told me not to freak out.

@ KneeCo

I think the problem is that you sound like one of the jurors, if not a juror in most cases. People think just because someone's in court, they must have broken the law. That's like saying if you get pulled over by a cop, it's because you've broken the law. (Which I know isn't true, because I've been pulled over before just to be searched. I was doing 40 mph in a 40 mph zone, it was 3 am, I was 18, and had long hippie hair. You do the math. However, I was very polite and didn't get that speeding ticket I was pulled over for after I let the cop search my car for no reason.. Yes, this was before I knew I had rights.)

So remember, in court, it's innocent until proven guilty, and it must be guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. "He's probably guilty", or "it's 90% likely that he's guilty" is just un-American!