Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Playing HU poker with a small bankroll

Some background: I've played 25nl and 50nl 6max on Party and FTP during the past year and have always been reasonably profitable in those games. I never played enough to build a decent bankroll for 100nl, became bored with 6max and cashed out. I have never seriously played SNGs. Recently I deposited $400 on Stars to start playing HU.

I'm now looking for some advice on how to proceed with this. Ignoring all BR guidelines I've been playing some (50nl) HU cash and noticed the rake is over 4ptBB/100. I'm far from sure I can beat the rake at this level, let alone actually build my roll. My BR is still around $400. Should I just suck it up for a while and play 25nl 6max until I have around $1000? Or would it be better to play HU SNG's for now? Which of these two options would better prepare me for HU cash?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Playing HU poker with a small bankroll

HU sitngos is the fastest way too build a bankroll in existence if you are prepared to risk going bust.

dont play cash so no comment to the 2nd half of your post.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:39 PM

play some 11s post trouble hands please dont play HU cash with 8 buy ins when u get bored with that play some 25nl

so many people try to specialize in one thing and i dont understand it as long as what ur doin is profitable its fine. i go through stretches of days or weeks where all ill play is cash games. or then ill play a [censored] of multis ect......
Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 AM

I am not aware of how good your HU skills are, but I suggest you play a stretch of 100-150 games at the $10 HU sng's. Try to aim at a 58% win rate, (65% would be awesome and is very achieveable at this limit). If you can beat the $10s at a higher win rate then 60%, move to the $20's, as you will now have increased your BR substantially to meet the $20 HU sng's.

Goodluck buddy, feel free to contact me if you need any help.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so many people try to specialize in one thing and i dont understand it as long as what ur doin is profitable its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if they can cope with the monotony of only playing one type of game, they are likely to make more money due to being an expert in their field as opposed to a Jack of all trades.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:53 PM

I would also suggest starting out with some $10s HU SNG and then going up to $20 HU SNG if you are having a nice progress. I think you should stick to HU SNG's untill you have build up a big enough bankroll to play like $100 or $200 cash. As far as I know it is first at the $200 NL that the rake becomes "acceptable", although it is most certainly possible to beat HU cash at the lower stakes if you are good enough.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

The above link will give you some information about how likely you are to be a winning HU SNG player, if you should choose to play them while building your roll.

gl!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:59 PM

at NL25 CASH HU - RAKE is the KILLER!
http://stream.ifolder.ru/4187289
Old 11-18-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so many people try to specialize in one thing and i dont understand it as long as what ur doin is profitable its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if they can cope with the monotony of only playing one type of game, they are likely to make more money due to being an expert in their field as opposed to a Jack of all trades.

[/ QUOTE ]

In poker, different games are a lot more similar than the skills a "jack of all trades" would usually have. It's a lot easier to transition into becoming a hu cash player for a husng player than it is for a cement worker to become an electrician.

If you master one form of poker it is incredibly likely that you can master at least one other form of it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 PM

With that bankroll you should definitely play SNGs rather than cash games. Play them to build the roll and to learn headsup play a bit more before you switch to cash games. And if the cash games start poorly you can always go back to SNGs.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM

I absolutely hate HU sitngo's. They utterly disgust me. Don't know why.

I would build my bankroll to about $2k and then play the HU NL100's.

Enjoy.