Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: please take skip bayless off the air

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are you smoking? Stephen A. and hilarious aren't even on the same planet.

And to previous poster, I don't think anyone is "watching" Bayless. I think they see him on TV and pretty much instantly change the channel or surf innanet pron in lieu of seeing his disgusting plastic made-up face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't actually do drugs, so nothing. I don't get why 2p2ers get so worked up about Bayless or Stephen A. They're characters, heels, like in the old WWF. Bayless is stupid, yes, so don't listen to his commentary and analysis. Just laugh at it. I kinda like watching Bayless because he says such ridiculously over-the-top comments; that's good TV.

Also ban people for hating on Stephen A. I used to be a hater but listening to him completely scream out diatribes about other players and teams is gold for me. "He looked COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS last night! His shot selection and ball-handling was PURELY ATROCIOUS. I got sick to my stomach watching him play such an AWFUL game of basketball!"

Same thing goes for Walton-he's retarded and says the dumbest [censored] ever, but it's hilarious. Getting all worked up about the stuff Bayless or Stephen A, or Walton say is like being in Politics and getting all worked up about what MiDge posts. It's just so useless

quote from an article I just read:

[ QUOTE ]
For a long time, I was in the camp of the Bill Walton haters. I seethed every time I heard him laud praise upon Kazaam or fall at the feet of Kobe Bryant…I mean, Mamba. I chose to watch games on mute rather than hear his man-love for Coach Wooden seep into whichever game he was talking over. The incessant stammering coupled with the goofy, Deadhead persona made him unbearable. It seemed even his play-by-play partners were beside themselves at his stupidity.

But something happened along the way that caused me to reconsider my disdain for Big Red; I actually turned the volume up and listened to one of his games. And in doing so, I realized quickly that the joke was on me, that my naivete and/or blind-hate had kept me from appreciating Walton for what he is: a willing punchline. His hyperbole, his non-sequitors, his uncomfortable hetero-crushes–Walton is just playing along, throwing humorous tidbits against the wall to see which ones stick. Why else would someone say the following:

"You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightning bolt flashed before him."

[/ QUOTE ]

imo the same goes for Bayless and Stephen A

[/ QUOTE ]

What you're describing sounds like Woody Paige or Bill Walton- guys who obviously are there for comic relief and who don't mind poking fun at themselves for the sake of humor. I agree with your last quote regarding both of them- I hated them at first until I caught onto their shtick then I liked them.

Bayless is not in the same category. He does not make me laugh ever. He just sucks.

I do think Stephen A Smith is a bit better, although his supreme confidence in all his views is annoying(same as Jay Mariotti and Jim Rome, although all 3 of them have some redeeming qualities as well).

100,766 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM

I agree that they're not quite the same, but to me they all fall into the category of "People Not To Be Taken Seriously". I'm much happier that way.

100,765 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM

He said something the other day that was actually funny. He was talking about how good the Giants defense is and he said, "I can't wait until they wipe that stupid grin off Romo's face permanantly.". As a Giants fan, I was like, Yeah!.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I can't wait until they wipe that stupid grin off Romo's face permanantly.". As a Giants fan, I was like, Yeah!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. It's comments like these that help illustrate how childish and unjustifiably arrogant he is. Why does he feel the need to say something like this? What did Tony Romo ever do to Stephen Freaking A. Smith? He probably doesn't even know who that is. And why doesn't Stephen A. like Romo? He's part Black, as per Michael Irvin.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Rome is a douche and a dick? I don't see it. I like Rome a lot. I'm out of the office 3 days a week so I get to catch his radio show fairly regularly.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM

[censored], just reading walton and bayless in the same sentence is tilting me hard
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rome is a douche and a dick? I don't see it. I like Rome a lot. I'm out of the office 3 days a week so I get to catch his radio show fairly regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Rome a lot too, and would listen to his radio show all the time years ago. But to say you don't see how one can think he's a douche is kind of odd to me. Someone being a douche =/= me not liking them. I like a lot of douches
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys like Stephen A and Bayless are just characters, to me they are more actors than anything else. They really are everything that is wrong w/ sports tv but if you take them seriously or if you even listen to them your life sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stop watching ESPN a while ago because of this. Even when there is some sporting event on I want to watch I usually tune-in 10 minutes late and skip the halftime just because of this.

Obviously, this style must help their ratings but I hate it and refuse to waste my time watching it. I want actual sports analysis, not scripted monkeys throwing their feces at each other.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM

I think he's got the douche "aura" about him, but he's really not one. Yeah, he can be childish on his radio show but he pulls ridiculous interviews and he's awesome at interviewing them. He "looks" like a douche and talks like one sometimes, but I think he's much classier than people give him credit for. He seems to be fighting an uphill battle.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's got the douche "aura" about him, but he's really not one. Yeah, he can be childish on his radio show but he pulls ridiculous interviews and he's awesome at interviewing them. He "looks" like a douche and talks like one sometimes, but I think he's much classier than people give him credit for. He seems to be fighting an uphill battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Simmons always writes about how Rome's on air personality is just a persona. When Simmons goes on the show, he always tries to make him laugh but Rome never falls for it.