Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

"If people don't want China to be polluted, they can avoid trading with Chinese companies which pollute. I don't need the US govt to forbid me to trade with anybody to make my own moral choices. I try to avoid Chinese junk products for this very reason, although I have no hard rule and will compromise this stance if I value the product/price more than the alternative."

The majority of Americans are more interested in saving a buck than stopping pollution because they are two paychecks from bankruptcy. And you, who can afford to make the moral choice, have admitted you would not in some cases.

"The more we realize that our own personal choices do in fact shape the world, then the better off we will be..... I believe little will change for the good until we all start accepting a little more personal responsibility which comes with greater economic freedom."

But you will compromise that belief when you can get a much better deal by doing so, as stated above.

"We as Americans would have little to fear regarding Pakistani nukes if the US govt wasn't meddling all over the world for the last 100 years. It strikes me as circular logic to use the situation caused by our meddling as justification for never-ending meddling."

We taught the Pakistan Govt how to safeguard their nukes. We are supporting a government, who army leaders are "western friendly," in an effort to reduce the risk of the sale of a nuclear warhead to the wrong people.

"It's also a very inefficient approach, as supported by the fact that the US spends as much on defense as the rest of the world combined. And that doesn't even include the military aid you allude to."

I agree with you 100%. We need to back away from that practice, but we can't just walk away. We need to be willing to sit down with any leader and negotiate, without demanding they do this or that before we sit with them.

We are ruining this country thru its rising national debt and huge defense budget. You can thank Reagan and the two Bush's for that.

Every president, since WWII, has reduced the national debt (as a percentage of GNP) except those 3 presidents. The first two wiped out any gains made by the other presidents and this clown has doubled our national debt.

The fact that he was reelected shows you just how stupid Americans are. They would rather rant about a woman in Saudi Arabia getting 200 lashes, than the criminal government that they are ruled by.

That is what happens when someone is in the White House who will turn their back on the moral choice, when the other choice has a much greater personal benefit.

Do you see the problem with having someone like you in a position of power?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Trust me. The United States of America is no better than Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is worse than us in some cases, as in the 200 lashes, however, the United States, when it talks about human rights is nothing more than a sham.[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

With such bias I really don't see why anyone should trust you. It is obvious you are overstating your case. The US generally scores high on the human development index.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:33 PM

"The United States of America is no better than Saudi Arabia."

Are we governed by a 12th century interpretation of Sharia?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If people don't want China to be polluted, they can avoid trading with Chinese companies which pollute. I don't need the US govt to forbid me to trade with anybody to make my own moral choices. I try to avoid Chinese junk products for this very reason, although I have no hard rule and will compromise this stance if I value the product/price more than the alternative."

The majority of Americans are more interested in saving a buck than stopping pollution because they are two paychecks from bankruptcy. And you, who can afford to make the moral choice, have admitted you would not in some cases.

"The more we realize that our own personal choices do in fact shape the world, then the better off we will be..... I believe little will change for the good until we all start accepting a little more personal responsibility which comes with greater economic freedom."

But you will compromise that belief when you can get a much better deal by doing so, as stated above.

"We as Americans would have little to fear regarding Pakistani nukes if the US govt wasn't meddling all over the world for the last 100 years. It strikes me as circular logic to use the situation caused by our meddling as justification for never-ending meddling."

We taught the Pakistan Govt how to safeguard their nukes. We are supporting a government, who army leaders are "western friendly," in an effort to reduce the risk of the sale of a nuclear warhead to the wrong people.

"It's also a very inefficient approach, as supported by the fact that the US spends as much on defense as the rest of the world combined. And that doesn't even include the military aid you allude to."

I agree with you 100%. We need to back away from that practice, but we can't just walk away. We need to be willing to sit down with any leader and negotiate, without demanding they do this or that before we sit with them.

We are ruining this country thru its rising national debt and huge defense budget. You can thank Reagan and the two Bush's for that.

Every president, since WWII, has reduced the national debt (as a percentage of GNP) except those 3 presidents. The first two wiped out any gains made by the other presidents and this clown has doubled our national debt.

The fact that he was reelected shows you just how stupid Americans are. They would rather rant about a woman in Saudi Arabia getting 200 lashes, than the criminal government that they are ruled by.

That is what happens when someone is in the White House who will turn their back on the moral choice, when the other choice has a much greater personal benefit.

Do you see the problem with having someone like you in a position of power?

[/ QUOTE ]

First you chastise me for compromising my stance by buying some Chinese products rather than having a hard and fast rule against it. Then you chastise me for not compromising my stance regarding foreign policy rather than support continued aid to a foreign government for our own interests over those of the people who live under said government.

Interesting take.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So if your neighbor has a choice between bankruptcy and buying Chinese, you'd like to take away one of those options?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

[/ QUOTE ]

-- I have us a very hot video for this evening, Your Majesty, an American woman getting spanked!

-- Aw, Mr President, I brought with me an even hotter video with a Saudi woman from the evening news...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-- I have us a very hot video for this evening, Your Majesty, an American woman getting spanked!

-- Aw, Mr President, I brought with me an even hotter video with a Saudi woman from the evening news...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this picture when I read the report and this thread. Thanks for posting it. Your comments are amusing and there's more than a tad bit of irony there.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Considering that oil is $90+ a barrel and considering that Saudi's are accused of funding radical terrorist activities; spending U.S. taxpayer money and blood to defend the Saudi power structure isn't much of a bargain methinks."

According to news reports, the true value of oil is $70 per barrel. The other $20+ comes from speculation of what Bush might do to Iran now that Congress has given him the green light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this kind of reasoning or lack thereof. You should be able to make a fortune by shorting oil then. I'm willing to bet you have no position whatsoever.

[ QUOTE ]
Any intelligent person had to forsee this. It happened prior to Bush's dad going to war and it happened when it became apparent Bush would invade Iraq. Not after we invaded and the oil supply was reduced, but before the decision was even made to invade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm sure mad a killing when oil was around $60 A barell in Novermber,2006.

[ QUOTE ]
"The idea of comparing the U.S. legal system and citizen'rights to the Saudis and saying they're more or less the same is either stupid or an admission that a credible argument for supporting such system can't be made."

I am not comparing the U.S. legal system to that of the Saudi's. I am demonstrating how one cannot protect their own interests when they put human rights first. If you could, the industrialized nations would have washed their hands of the United States until they stopped executed minors.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, but I shouldn't be surprised given the above. I would normally say that you're just trolling at this point as you're not the least bit serious. However, I'm almost certain you are given the PM you sent me the other day.

[ QUOTE ]
"I keep having this nagging question, why is Iran our enemy and the Saudi's are our allies? Doesn't make an iota of sense to me. Maybe some of the folks defending having the Saudi's as our allies could explain this to me."

We don't support Iran's government because they have swore to destroy Israel, who has 250 nuclear weapons. Can you read the tealeaves?

Over 80% of the Iranians do not hate Americans, despite the fact they have all had a relative, somewhere in their bloodline, who was persecuted by the Shaw after we overthrew the elected President they loved.

Trust me. The United States of America is no better than Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is worse than us in some cases, as in the 200 lashes, however, the United States, when it talks about human rights is nothing more than a sham.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pass on the "trust me" part. We'll just have to agree to disagree [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking about this picture when I read the report and this thread. Thanks for posting it. Your comments are amusing and there's more than a tad bit of irony there.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. I think they kiss as a greeting too in this clip.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Saudis Defend the Punishment

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8T23TO83.html