Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Well known tournament players who really post about poker

With all the Paul Philips debacle in the WPT forum and all the posts about how great of a contributor to the forum he is. I was thinking if there is really a well known tournament player who contributes (read POKER theory) to this forum.

No offense to MLG, Strassa, ZJ or myself and many other good posters in the forum, but we are not well known tournament players. I think even Matt Matros who has posted in this forum does not fit the definition of "well known".

Can somebody post a link to the last Paul Philips post that was a real contribution to the forum?

Any insightful poker posts by Daniel N., Barry G, Lederer, Juanda, Ferguson, Ivey ?

I remember reading in the archives some good posts by Allen Cunningham and of course all the Raymer posts, but those were in the time when he was not such a TV star; after his championship has he posted anything about poker? Links?

I mean, anytime any of this players post something (usually gossip) we have usually a herd telling them how great his contribution is; but it is so?

Who do you consider a well known player who is open to discuss publicly poker theory and share some of his knowledge?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Well known tournament players who really post about poker

In that category, Raymer made a few posts here after he won his bracelet that were worthwhile. None that he initiated but he did respond and make insightful comments in a few. I wish he posted more and it would certainly go a long way in building some momentum (at least here at 2+2) for his long awaited book. But at the very least he's made *some* contribution. Barry G responded to one post here that I can think of. Paul P. has not posted in MTT that I can remember. And of course, lest we forget, Gavin Griffin is a regular contributor and certainly gained some type of "celebrity" status.

In the next several weeks I plan on hitting up Raymer, Barry, and somebody else (was going to be Paul P) for a "Hand with the Masters". We'll see how willing they are to share the great knowledge they have attained.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:01 AM

Didn't you know, David? If you hit is big, you can't post here anymore.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't you know, David? If you hit is big, you can't post here anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 AM

Shaniac has won like 5 tournaments in the last 4 weeks for between 10 and 40K, his fame is clearly not a joke. Although I have heard that with Paul Phillips recent ban Shane might boycott the site as well.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 AM

for a brief time we had Annie Duke -

as you can imagine, the [censored] that followed drove her away - I was always sorta bummed about that...

If I were a pro and had to weed thru the bastards that troll the pros, I'd stop coming too - plain and simple - Even our regular 2+2'ers who gain some fame catch hell - I remember a few smartass comments about one player who mad a WPT table and whose girlfriend (another acomplished poker player) was shown on screen and a few members felt a need to make unnecessary comments towards her appearance.

As I have often stated, this year's WSOP rules regarding things like the F-word approached childishness in the approach, but if there's anyone more likely to act like an irresponsible and tantrum throwing child, it would be poker players, so sometimes treating them like the babies they are is the only way to rectify it. And you gotta throw the baby out with the bathwater and apply it to all.

and in the case of the pros, ignoring this forum and going somewhere else is your only response -

I believe a few still dwell on RGP where the inmates run the asylum - they may prefer that to our wardens.

RB
Old 11-10-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shaniac has won like 5 tournaments in the last 4 weeks for between 10 and 40K, his fame is clearly not a joke. Although I have heard that with Paul Phillips recent ban Shane might boycott the site as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Shane qualifies as a well known tournament player. No more so than ZeeJustin, MLG, or Sirio, at any rate.

And there are quite a few posters on this site who have made more than 250k just this year. So its not just the financial success that makes you famous either.

My guess, is that people get what they can from these boards and then move on as they move up. A lot of smaller cliques can develop from the community, but at some point it becomes counter-intuitive to share strategy with the masses.

That is, unless you write a book [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:40 AM

Shaniac is dating Evelyn Ng so I think it's safe to say he is now better than us at poker and life, and thus a "celebrity."
Old 11-10-2005, 04:42 AM

theres still a line, albeit a thin one, between famous online tournament players and famous household-name, TV, WPT/WSOP/EPT etc. tournament players

any tournament player who is semi-serious knows gank, Gigabet, JJProdigy, colson, shaniac, 2005, etc.

yet because they are well-known for doing well online, they are more likely to post on online forums. plus, im sure a lot of these guys have been posting for a while, and have been improving together, hence are probably known to many as some semblance of an "old guard". you see the same thing with big name TV tournament players too, they all "grew up" together.

and the fact is, those big name guys all started from playing live poker. a few have made it in through online, but most from live - so they are far less likely to find themselves posting on an internet forum about poker, because they didn't "grow up" there
Old 11-10-2005, 04:44 AM

Looks Famous To Me

hmmmm, maybe u dont remember Shanes breakthrough role as Michael Gracz's sidekick in the 1000 rebuy in the WORLD SERIES OF POKER ON ESPN. I disagree with your claim that Shane's fame is a joke. Would u wear a purple shirt? No right? Wanna know why? Cause you arent famous enough to wear a purple shirt!! Either am I, but Shane is. Case Closed