Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I loved the book, but I'm still trying to figure out how Dumbledore's portrait knew they switched the date for Harry's departure. I spent the whole book thinking there was a traitor in the Order, and it turns out Snape's source is Dumbledore!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snape's source was Mundungus Fletcher. We see that when we go through Snape's memories.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm...I read that as Dumbledore (well, his portrait) coming up with the idea for the seven decoys and telling Snape to plant that idea with Mundungus. I didn't draw from that that Mundungus was feeding information to Snape all along.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Oh, and the only part that made me really weepy like a little girl was where Harry was walking out to the Forbidden Forest and his mom, dad, Sirius and Lupin showed up. I think that if they pull that off right, I'll be like 25 years old and crying in a movie theater. ISSCKM.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I loved the book, but I'm still trying to figure out how Dumbledore's portrait knew they switched the date for Harry's departure. I spent the whole book thinking there was a traitor in the Order, and it turns out Snape's source is Dumbledore!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snape's source was Mundungus Fletcher. We see that when we go through Snape's memories.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm...I read that as Dumbledore (well, his portrait) coming up with the idea for the seven decoys and telling Snape to plant that idea with Mundungus. I didn't draw from that that Mundungus was feeding information to Snape all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the idea is that the portraits aren't really sentient, they just repeat catchphrases. But apparently Dumbledore's can do more than that (actually, it also looks like Sirius' ancestor could do the same). I'd say that Dumbledore, when he was planning everything that was going to go down, fed his portrait the information that it would need to carry on in his absence, so to speak.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread it.

It seems to me that Snape is consulting the portrait Dumbledore (pg. 688). Snape got the information "-from the source we discussed" (pg. 4) when he informs Voldemort about the date of Harry's depature from Privet Drive.

I think Snape was concerned about whether he could inform Voldemort about the actual date Hary was leaving. Telling the truth may have put Harry's life in too much jeopardy. The portrait Dumbledore is emphasizing the need to remain in Voldemort's confidence. So, it suggests Snape must report the accurate date to Voldemort.

It's not clear who came up with the idea of the decoys. It sounds like something which has been discussed before. The portrait Dumbledore seems to have concluded that Voldemort must be told the truth and decoys used to give Harry a chance to escape.

Remember, Mundungus Fletcher was in Azkaban at the end of Book 6. Presumably, he escaped during the mass breakout between books which also liberated Lucious Malfoy. It's not hard to see him playing both sides. That's in his nature.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Neville and the sword was meant to show that Neville was a try Gryffindore. I think there has always been that thought that he wasnt very brave/skillful and didnt meet the standards. But as with Harry in the CoS...when Neville showed his true loyalty and that he was in fact as brave as the hat predicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it may also have been meant to show his leadershipish qualities. As it was supposedly him or Harry who would defeat Voldermort according to the prophecy, and as dumbledore talked about how it had to be someone who would exhibit true courage/leadership unlike how he handled his search for power. I think it may have just in a manner shown how they are supposed to be so similar and like either could of accomplished the job.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

I am sure that this is in the book, but I didn't really pick it up when reading and can't locate a definitive answer.

Did Harry not die when he got Aked in the forest because

a. Harry in reality had all 3 of the deathly hallows (with Draco's wand having the power) and him having totally mastered death - he had the 3 hallows as well as giving into death (very similar to the story in Hermione's book on how to beat death).

OR

b. simply because Harry had two levels of connection with Voldy. Blood and Soul.

Maybe some combination of the two? thoughts?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM

iirc Dumbledore says something regarding Harry having the Resurrection Stone which is why he didn't die, but I may have skimmed through that part. I think what it came down to was that he was prepared to die and sacrifice himself for everyone, which is why he got shipped off to Limbo or whatever you want to call it, where he then had the choice to either move on with Dumbledore, or to stay and fight.

As an aside, who was the baby in Limbo? I assume it was Grindelwald, but that might be 100% wrong.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM

hmm I guess i was expecting something special, not something Robert Jordan would write. But then again my favorite book of the series is Chamber of Secrets.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As an aside, who was the baby in Limbo? I assume it was Grindelwald, but that might be 100% wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That had to be the portion of Voldemort's sould which was in Harry.