Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I'm wrong..but I thought Harry's youngest son's first name is Albus Severus not first name Albus, middle name Severus

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to imagine that having that name is gonna make him a little odd. Eventually he is gonna ask where he got his name from. How do you answer that?

"Well, son, Albus was this old guy who sent me off to be killed, and Severus was the person who eventually killed Albus. And oh yeah, Severus also had an obsessive stalker thing for your dead grandmother, Lily. Please don't think of your sister that way though."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure everyone in the wizard world would know those two names as basically the two people who helped bring down the greatest evil wizard of all time. Plus when Harry says something to his son...is it Snape or Dumbledore who he describes as the bravest person he ever knew?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snape, I think that he trusted DD and didnt really rationalize it out. If hes the 7th horcrux and the only way he can kill that part of Voldy he couldnt be the one who finished him off anyway
Old 07-25-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We understand it's a theme, that doesn't mean it makes sense.

The smartest wizard in the world would know to use house elf magic for their own benefit

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is Voldemort hated any creature that wasn't a pureblood. He wouldn't use a house elf for any reason no matter what the situation was because he prided himself on being above these creatures.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not necessarily talking about Voldemort. If a wizard can apparate into places with a house elf, when they ordinarily couldn't, it makes alot of these "protections" moot.

It's absolutely a plot hole, but not a very relevant one

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's a plot hole, but I think you can resolve it by saying that Dobby can do that because he used to serve that house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kreacher could do it from the cave too

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it that Voldemort didn't protect against house elves magic(in the cave and mansion), rather than noone anywhere ever protected against it.

Hogwarts could have allowed their working elves to apparate around the place without making it a free for all.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 AM

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but somwhere in the book Harry was confused about what Dumbledore said he saw in the magical mirror - I think it was a pair of thick woolen socks? And then once Harry learns about the death of his sister, he says he understands now why Dumbledore sees this. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry if I mangled the details.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but somwhere in the book Harry was confused about what Dumbledore said he saw in the magical mirror - I think it was a pair of thick woolen socks? And then once Harry learns about the death of his sister, he says he understands now why Dumbledore sees this. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry if I mangled the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

going from memory as well...but i think he said that he new Dumbledore lied to him at this point. That Dumbledore didnt see socks, but really his parents/sister.

And like the others I think that the guy playing Dumbledore nowadays is just not any good. I dont like the way they have portrayed him in the newer movies, the GoF especially. They are making it seem like Dumbledore is to weak to think straight anymore, and even up to the second that he dies, Dumbledore is still a badass. I just really think they have missed the entire concept of Dumbledore in teh movies when they replaced teh original guy.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

going from memory as well...but i think he said that he new Dumbledore lied to him at this point. That Dumbledore didnt see socks, but really his parents/sister.

And like the others I think that the guy playing Dumbledore nowadays is just not any good. I dont like the way they have portrayed him in the newer movies, the GoF especially. They are making it seem like Dumbledore is to weak to think straight anymore, and even up to the second that he dies, Dumbledore is still a badass. I just really think they have missed the entire concept of Dumbledore in teh movies when they replaced teh original guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh I could be way off here, but didn't dumbledore see himself with the 3 hallows that would make him invincible? I think this was the whole point of dumbledore saying that he wasn't that much different from voldemort because he to wanted power, but knew that it was his weakness so he didn't become the minister, look for the hallows etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM

This doesn't really explain why, but according to Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
the deepest desire of his heart (revealed via the Mirror of Erised) is to have a pair of woolen socks, as "one can never have enough socks." However, this is proven to be false. In the seventh novel, Harry realizes that he and Dumbledore see the same things in the Mirror: their families.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM

To me it meant that Dumbledore's deepest desire was to be reunited with his sister, i.e. to repair the damage he did particularly if he suspected he was the one who killed her.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Dumbledore definitely saw his family in the mirror
Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but the part Narcissa Malfoy will be played by Naomi Watts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot. The casting for the movies has been fantastic so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought it was odd they cast John Hurt as Ollivander in the first movie. Seemed like such a small role.

But I love the idea of John Hurt having the conversation with Harry from "The Wandmaker" chapter.

Oh, and Naomi Watts is chicalicious.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ill start...What did yall think of the epilogue? It was probably the only part of the book i was disappointed with...I mean heck after 750+ pages..She couldnt extend it out another 20 or so to give us a real "where are they now" situation. I wanted to confirm that Harry and Ginny and Ron/Hermione ended up together but I also would have liked to know what else was going to happen.

I mean lets be honest. Harry wasnt going to ever just lead a normal life, but JK made it sound like he was just a plain old person.

[/ QUOTE ]

The epilogue was pretty crappy IMO. It contributed nothing, and the book would have been better without it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I didn't like it either. It should've been an epilogue from one month later, perhaps... Or an epilogue that far into the future where things aren't all rosy. I'd have preferred it to be semi-happy. I did like the bit where Harry says how Snape is the bravest headmaster ever etc.