Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Can someone explain the health care \'crisis\' to me?

I want to know what is the crisis in US health care. I live in the US and purchase my own health care independantly for a very reasonable price....what am I missing? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain the health care \'crisis\' to me?

[ QUOTE ]
I want to know what is the crisis in US health care. I live in the US and purchase my own health care independantly for a very reasonable price....what am I missing? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing that 1. You don't have any kids to pay for, 2. I don't know what your definition of reasonable is, 3. I'm guessing you make more money than the majority of Americans and 4. You're not sick. Good luck getting a reasonable price with a pre-existing condition.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

#4: so, pre-existing conditions are a big issue?

#2: Reasonable--When I get sick or injured, there is a nearby location that can treat me in a timely manner. Most of the bill (about 90%) is covered by the insurance. All for less than $1,500 per year.

#1--no kids myself (at least none I know of). I asked people about this very subject recently. It seemed that kids were about the same price or just a little more than most adults for a year's worth of insurance. That didn't seem unreasonable to me.

#3: is very, very wrong. I wish it wasn't true, but I've never earned more than $25k/yr. I have no other sources of income. Money isn't that important to me or my interests. I live in the US in 2007. I live a pretty sweet life.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm going to guess that to get 90% of your health care costs covered, your premimum is about $200 a month. At $25k/year, you pull in about $1800/month after taxes. So you're spending 10% of your take home pay on health insurance, not too bad. But keep in mind that young adults are about the cheapest people to insure because they have the fewest health problems. If you are 55 years old, probably double that to $400 a month. Probably the same if you have healthy kids. I'll also guess that your rent is $800/month for a two bedroom, which you'll need if you have kids.

So by my wild guesses at your finances, if you have kids you are spending $1200 a month, leaving $600 a month for food, transportation, clothes and everything else. Doesn't seem like much, does it?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 PM

kids are a decision

as well as living with a partner for said kids
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM

You don't just have kids by random chance. If someone making 25k a year does this analysis, and discovers they can't afford to have kids, then they shouldn't be having any. And if they don't do the analysis, why should they expect someone else to pay for their kids? Why should "we" pay people for having kids they can't afford? Having someone support your brood isn't a right.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kids are a decision

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't argue with this. However, most people in this country believe that you should be able to have kids if you want. In fact, I think there was a Supreme Court decision that being able to have kids is a Constitutional right. I'm sure they wouldn't go so far as to mandate government subsidies, but being for kids is widely popular. This isn't a case of politicians demagoging, it's what most people want.

Add to this the sentiment that we shouldn't punish children for the mistakes of their parents. It's not the kid's fault that their parents were stupid or poor. Add on actually getting sick and using up your coverage or not being able to get coverage and it becomes a huge problem. Health costs are the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in this country.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add to this the sentiment that we shouldn't punish children for the mistakes of their parents. It's not the kid's fault that their parents were stupid or poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's certainly not MY fault.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kids are a decision

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't argue with this. However, most people in this country believe that you should be able to have kids if you want. In fact, I think there was a Supreme Court decision that being able to have kids is a Constitutional right. I'm sure they wouldn't go so far as to mandate government subsidies, but being for kids is widely popular. This isn't a case of politicians demagoging, it's what most people want.

Add to this the sentiment that we shouldn't punish children for the mistakes of their parents. It's not the kid's fault that their parents were stupid or poor. Add on actually getting sick and using up your coverage or not being able to get coverage and it becomes a huge problem. Health costs are the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is funny, b/c unpaid medical bills are actually the least damaging kind of unpaid bills to your credit.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, most people in this country believe that you should be able to have kids if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should too! but you shouldn't expect people you never met to help pay for them. They're really expensive, and it's a huge responsibility to bring a human into the world. Incentivizing people to do so who can't bear the burden is terrible.