Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Obsolete Skills

10 Learning Basic
20 Learning that you always want to go by tens to help cover mistakes.

I'm finding my HTML skills to be pretty useless as of late as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 Learning Basic
20 Learning that you always want to go by tens to help cover mistakes.

I'm finding my HTML skills to be pretty useless as of late as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, the memories! Both are definitely true. My first computer was an old C64 the neighbors wanted to throw away. I even got a 1541 for it at a flea market and got it to work. I only had a German manual, which I didn't understand at the time. (OK fine my uncle helped a bit)

Later I remember feeling like a badass when I wrote my first HTML page with a Perl script to mail the contents of a form to me. That was like nine years ago. I then lost interest in the subject, and now everything gets done automatically.

Another obsolete skill from that era:

Figuring out how to configure your DOS machine so that you can play Doom, run Win31, some older games that rely on your first 640k, and still have sound and CDROM. The good old days...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 PM

anyone still cooking popcorn in a pan on the stove?

a taste like no other!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Another obsolete skill from that era:

Figuring out how to configure your DOS machine so that you can play Doom, run Win31, some older games that rely on your first 640k, and still have sound and CDROM. The good old days...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I had separate boot disks for different games, including Doom. I still have several of them on 5.25" floppy.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Using a typewriter. I'm old enough that when I was in college, I wrote term papers and such with a typewriter. although typing on a computer keyboard isn't all that different, correcting errors and making changes was really a pain in the ass. Usually I would type a "rough draft", just get my thoughts on paper, Xing out anything I messed up or wanted to change, then maybe make some notes in pen, and then I would do a final draft. Small errors or changes could be handled with correction tape or white-out, big ones meant I pulled the page out of the typewriter, threw it away and started over again. Writing with a computer is much easier. I hardly ever do more than one draft. I just edit as I go. If I want to rearrange paragraphs, sentences and words, I cut and paste.

Also, I learned to type on a manual typewriter. When I first started using an electric, and later even a computer keyboard, it took me years to quit snapping my wrist and banging the keyboard about five times as hard as I needed to.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) cash register attendants: can't do simple arithmitic, i just feel bad for these people. It makes me realize how bad the education system is in our country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many times I've seen a cash register attendant enter the "amount tendered" incorrectly, and then have know clue how much change I had coming.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone still cooking popcorn in a pan on the stove?

a taste like no other!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have a hot air popper that I haven't used in years. It made great popcorn. Either that or the pan gives you a lot fewer unpopped kernels than the microwave stuff, and popcorn with real butter is much tastier than the oil and artificial flavorings in the microwave stuff, but the microwave stuff is just so damned easy that I hardly ever do it the old-fashioned way.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the key is that over time they get less and less basic. My engine looks more like something off of the Millenium Falcon than an engine these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I remember when, if my car was running a little rough, i just got out the feeler guage and screwdriver and adjusted the points. The downside was you had to do this about every 4-5,000 miles (and replace them about every 10,000-15,000 miles. About 80-90% of the time, this was all that needed to be done. Now, most cars don't have a distributor, let alone points and everything is computerized. They run better and go a lot longer without service, but when they run rough, it's usually big bucks to get them right again.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be able to tap-dial any number on a rotary dial phone. Useful for stealing calls when there was a padlock on the dial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're talking about, but i bet 90% of the people who read your post will have no idea.

I can't remember the last time I even saw a rotary dial phone.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

8: If the last two digits are divisible by 8, then the whole number is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just tried it and it doesn't work. I tried 1356 and 148. I assume last two digits, as in the "56" in 1356 or the "48" in 148. (56 = 8*7, 48 = 8*6)

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be "last three digits". 1000. is divisible by 8. 100 isn't. If last two digits are divisible by 4, the number is (100 is divisible by 4).