Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, this is the same ridiculous argument I just had with Kaj. I could honestly care less whether the owner hires them or not,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your emphasis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that I don't care from a legal standpoint. From a personal standpoint, if you want my business, you won't subject me to attempting business dealings with someone who cannot speak the common language.

I'm suprised that you, of all people, cannot see the difference in forcing someone to do something by letter of law,(the state forcing officers to learn Spanish) and choosing to make a personal decision not to do business with those who cannot speak English.(free market ftw)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM

i think they should have to learn to speak english b/c it is expected of citizens. if they have no desire to become citizens, then they should keep their stay short.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think they should have to learn to speak english b/c it is expected of citizens. if they have no desire to become citizens, then they should keep their stay short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-22-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ay caramba. Esta locura me da dolor de la cabeza.

[/ QUOTE ]

deport

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Deport a natural born American citizen of Irish-Italian descent just because he speaks Spanish. Thanks for identifying yourself as a moron.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ay caramba. Esta locura me da dolor de la cabeza.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban

[/ QUOTE ]

For a weak attempt at humor?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, this is the same ridiculous argument I just had with Kaj. I could honestly care less whether the owner hires them or not,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your emphasis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that I don't care from a legal standpoint. From a personal standpoint, if you want my business, you won't subject me to attempting business dealings with someone who cannot speak the common language.

I'm suprised that you, of all people, cannot see the difference in forcing someone to do something by letter of law,(the state forcing officers to learn Spanish) and choosing to make a personal decision not to do business with those who cannot speak English.(free market ftw)

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not forcing anyone. You are a state employee. If you want to work for the state, learn spanish. If you don't, go find another job. You say you support the right of employers to fire people for not speaking a particular language; well, you're soaking in it.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're not forcing anyone. You are a state employee. If you want to work for the state, learn spanish. If you don't, go find another job. You say you support the right of employers to fire people for not speaking a particular language; well, you're soaking in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not forcing anyone. You are a red cross employee. If you want to work for the red cross, learn english. If you don't, go find another job. You say you support the right of employers to fire people for not speaking a particular language; well, you're soaking in it.

OK WHATS THE DIFF?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not forcing anyone. You are a red cross employee. If you want to work for the red cross, learn english. If you don't, go find another job. You say you support the right of employers to fire people for not speaking a particular language; well, you're soaking in it.

OK WHATS THE DIFF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. If the red cross wants to require english as a condition of employment, that's fine with me.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing. If the red cross wants to require english as a condition of employment, that's fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the problem is that one is legal and one is illegal, currently. state req. spanish = ok, red cross req. english = not ok.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who sets these expectations? Don't you think if the expectations were really necessary there are enough incentives for people to learn English?

So many people have their different "shouldas", but then want to smash their subjective beliefs on the populace with big hammer of government legislation. You can include all those heart-breaking activists like MADD and PETA.