Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: film: 3:10 to Yuma

I enjoyed it. It wasn't an unbelievable movie but it was pretty good and I was entertained for a few hours which was pretty much what I expected.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:54 AM

I just thought this:

Why you all think ben is so bad?
Like the who movie you dont see him do anything bad. You only hear of him doing bad things. Maybe its all legend and he really is not a spawn of the devil.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 PM

It was okay. All the acting, cinematography, settings, everything was really good, liked all the characters, just didn't care too much for how they organized Crowe running along with Bale there at the end.

Did anyone else think that Butterfield character (Butter-something, the train guy with the great mustache) reminded them of Val Kilmer?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did anyone else think that Butterfield character (Butter-something, the train guy with the great mustache) reminded them of Val Kilmer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah definitely
Old 09-15-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as for the contention that "The movie had been showing Ben's [crowe] disdain for his comrades the whole way": huh? when? where? what movie were you watching? the movie showed the whole way that crowe was confident that his crew would come rescue him! his line: "as sure as god's vengeance, they're coming." why was he so confident?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you miss the scene where charlie virtually begs ben to let him hang around and ben pointedly ignores him? (in the saloon, after dismissing the rest of the gang). or how about when ben asks the bar girl to run away to mexico with him? or when ben shoots one of his own gang for no real reason during the coach hold up? or how despite his confidence his gang is coming for him, he's desperate to escape without their help?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya there was def disdain for his crew but writing wise Crowe's character was alll over the place and really didn't make a ton of sense. I'd have to see the original draft but I'd hope that the character was much darker and more sinister until Cruise(originally supposed to play role) and Crowe got involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that stars often have things rewritten to maximize their face time and make their characters more likeable, sometimes even going so far as to bring in their own writers they regularly use for that purpose. It sounds exactly like something Cruise would do, who is extremely canny about and manipulative regarding his image, and a guy as big as Crowe should have about as much freedom.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:53 PM

I don't particularly like westerns, but the tomatometer is almost always bang on target for me, so I saw it.

At 93%, however, the film may be UNDERrated.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 PM

This movie was disappointing. Christian Bale delivers a very strong performance but other than that the movie was mediocre. My biggest problem with the flick is that how the characters responded to events was contrived and not at all what would happen in real life. I agree with TSC that the movie got way better once they reached Contention.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM

CDS has it spot on for most of this thread.

I thought the movie was okay, and a decent ending could have really made it. But the ending was stupid. Stupid is the best word I can think of.

Unforgiven and Tombstone are still my two favorite Westerns.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:36 PM

The people who didn't like this film are life nits. It was awesome. And if it ISN'T the best western since Unforgiven, what pray tell was? Don't get me wrong, Unforgiven is twice the film 3:10 to Yuma is, but Unforgiven is a giant of a film, easily deserving of its Best Picture Oscar. The best up to now has been Costner and Duvall in Open Range, and while it was good, 3:10 to Yuma is twice the film as that (making 4 Open Ranges to 1 Unforgiven by my calculation).
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who didn't like this film are life nits. It was awesome. And if it ISN'T the best western since Unforgiven, what pray tell was? Don't get me wrong, Unforgiven is twice the film 3:10 to Yuma is, but Unforgiven is a giant of a film, easily deserving of its Best Picture Oscar. The best up to now has been Costner and Duvall in Open Range, and while it was good, 3:10 to Yuma is twice the film as that (making 4 Open Ranges to 1 Unforgiven by my calculation).

[/ QUOTE ]

I should watch Open Range again. I saw it in theatres and all I can remember is being bored to tears until the final gunfight, but I think I'd appreciate it a bit better now.