Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Default My constant undoing...

New to this table(about 5 hands in). Any problem with my line? (i.e.) must I always view top pair a loser in the face of opposition? Obviously he had monster outs, but I am constantly up against this when I flop TP. I keep thinking that all these flops cannot hit my opps. that hard everytime and end up getting crushed.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t11131
Hero: t4120
MP1: t3220
MP2: t7835
CO: t4415
Button: t15470
SB: t3355
BB: t5870

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600</font>, 2 folds, CO calls t600 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t900)</font>, 3 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t1500, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t3600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in t2520</font>.
Uncalled bets: t80 returned to CO.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t8540, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t8540)

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t8540, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t8540)

Results:
Final pot: t8540
Old 06-01-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Re: My constant undoing...

J-10 suited is a drawing hand, and in such early position, there is no need for a raise. Calling is even questionable here, but I'm sure people can argue both ways. In a tournament like this, you need to accumulate chips by hitting big hands (flushes, straights, sets). Top pair isn't what you're hoping for, and can put you in rough situations at times. Your post flop play is just standard. I can't see folding to the push getting better than 2:1 on top pair when you'd be leaving yourself with only 10 BB.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:42 PM

what buy-in tournament + site was this at? it helps on peoples responses- ill raise with JTs sometimes looking for a good flop but i think behind here (either to a pf slowplayed QQ+ or AJ is my guess)

any reads on villian? ever seen him play a flush draw this fast or make raises vs a prf who might've missed with ak?

i like the size of your flop bet and i'd call here getting more then 2-1.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what buy-in tournament + site was this at? it helps on peoples responses- ill raise with JTs sometimes looking for a good flop but i think behind here (either to a pf slowplayed QQ+ or AJ is my guess)

any reads on villian? ever seen him play a flush draw this fast or make raises vs a prf who might've missed with ak?

i like the size of your flop bet and i'd call here getting more then 2-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS $20/180... not a typical play of mine but one to mix it up. No reads on villain...was getting to the point of making something happen if I wanted to be deep.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS $20/180... was getting to the point of making something happen if I wanted to be deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think this is exactly it- i'd call here figuring im either behind to a better jack/overpair or vs. a fd but trying to build a stack.

we've got a bd straight draw for what its worth and a tp hand fairing well vs just a fd but even with a 2-overs + fd type hand (AsKs).

interested in 20/180 players thoughts as im still rockin the 4$'s.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM

I don't see any problem with this. I think you had to play as you did postflop.

I would generally fold preflop. There is nothing wrong with folding marginal hands in early position. The raise is OK if the table is tight and you have a good chance of stealing the blinds. The money is not deep enough to make raising with suited connectors that great.

By raising with JTs in second position, you get yourself in the position of putting all your chips in with TPNK.

While I really don't like the raise, it is OK in some situations and depending on your style.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any problem with this. I think you had to play as you did postflop.

I would generally fold preflop. There is nothing wrong with folding marginal hands in early position. The raise is OK if the table is tight and you have a good chance of stealing the blinds. The money is not deep enough to make raising with suited connectors that great.

By raising with JTs in second position, you get yourself in the position of putting all your chips in with TPNK.

While I really don't like the raise, it is OK in some situations and depending on your style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that...the way these trnys go is nut peddlers and chasers....trying to outrun both(with solid values) at the same time is proving difficult.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:09 AM

Play tighter from early position. There is no need to raise a suited connector from 2nd position in this type of tournament except on the bubble.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play tighter from early position. There is no need to raise a suited connector from 2nd position in this type of tournament except on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. But I am CONSTANTLY geting blinded into these situations where A,B,C poker is dependent on my chip stack...and I am Avg...so I push according to table...and end up running into monster. Perhaps it is my early play that needs attention??
Old 06-02-2006, 01:02 AM

Even I say fold this preflop.

If you had 6k it'd be different, but you've got 20xbb and there are no antes in play either.

This is a bad play preflop.