Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Default NL5: KTo in multiway pot, flopped straight villain keep calling raises

First post here, i have been lurking for quite some time now, i have already read some books (GSHE, SSHE, TOP, NLHTAP, HOH vol.1 and i'm currently reading PNLHE vol.1) and i have read and learned a lot of things on the forums.

I've been playing for 4 months (started playing SNG and recently switched to full ring), and decided to take my game a step further by getting involved in the forums.

Here is a hand that is making me doubt a lot and would like to have your thoughts.

UTG is 18/4/1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed)

SB ($9.95)
BB ($9.20)
UTG ($10.24)
UTG+1 ($6.28)
MP1 ($8.36)
MPB ($3.61)
MP3 ($6.08)
CO ($9.08)
Button ($1.42)

Preflop:
UTG calls $0.05, UTG+1 calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.27) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, CO calls $0.25, BB folds, UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($1.02) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.45</font>, CO folds, UTG calls $0.95.

River: ($3.92) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.86 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $1.86.

Final Pot: $7.64

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has As Ts (straight, ace high).
Hero has Ks Tc (straight, king high).
Outcome: UTG wins $7.64. </font>

I thought calling preflop was half way decent with 2 limpers already in the pot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Any advices would be really appreciated, thanks for your time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: NL5: KTo in multiway pot, flopped straight villain keep calling ra

I don't play this hand preflop, but meh. If you don't think your opponents will raise and you can lay down a pair of kings to some heat, I don't hate it either.

Check the river behind. KK, QQ, JJ, TT, J9, Q9, K9, and T-anything now beat you. You played it well, now show down.

Use a hand converter. Don't post results.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Yeah pretty standard besides the river push. Nothing that you beat is calling you and the best call you get is a chop.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 PM

If I am playing this hand I am raising preflop, use ur position on the limper to take the dead money in the pot. If ur not gonna raise then just fold here. Post flop I like how u played it, but not really sure about the river. Shoving there isnt terrible or anything though as u will get a lot of value at this level as people call down light.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:12 AM

Preflop play with a full stack please as I hope you figure yourself to be better then the rest of the guys at 10NL. I would fold KTo in MP2 it is a very marginal hand especially multiway, yes you can see a cheap flop with it but reverse implied odds will be hunting you. On the button or CO though I might raise with KTo or KTs if I have a few loose limpers in order to isolate them and take it away from them postflop or immediately preflop. Flop and turn are fine, river well at 5NL people will call with AJ or other trash and it doesn't look like villain had a made hand on the turn and his check indicates weakness, so I don't really mind the river either... It is a cooler &gt;&gt;&gt; your problem started preflop.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks a lot for the help, that was really useful.

Regarding the full stack issue, i'm not really confident in my play even if i know that the vast majority of my opponents don't know what a poker books is, or try to fix leaks in their game, reviewing sessions and so on, hence the shortstack.

In general i tend to buy in for 100-120BB which is usually above the effective stack size at this level, and that allows me to be more at ease regarding my bankroll management too, i hope that makes sense even if i know why you should use a full stack.