Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Sklansky/Brandi stuff . . . Am I just an old fuddy-duddy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Funnier/sadder still, is that Sklansky now admits to being paid by Mason for publicly embarrassing himself with these brandi posts for the sake of 2p2.

He has also admitted that the primary reason he starts a thread nowadays is to drum up up "hits" for the site. Personally, I'm a little insulted by this. Here I thought I was taking part in discussions of mutual interest with David. Now I've learned our exchanges have been little more than a ruse to increase 2p2's ad rates. As a result, I've been posting MUCH less lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did he admit this? I don't see that he has posted anything like that on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i'd like to read that too, and agree that it's pretty lame if true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really retarded. Skylansky sucks at life.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One big fact that no one seems to want to look in the face is that fame now is rarely based on anything good or wholesome. If you're looking for that level of fame without ever doing anything "questionable", well... the odds of that happening are pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was fame ever based on anything good or wholesome?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One big fact that no one seems to want to look in the face is that fame now is rarely based on anything good or wholesome. If you're looking for that level of fame without ever doing anything "questionable", well... the odds of that happening are pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was fame ever based on anything good or wholesome?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea sure, playing sports, being CEO, being a famous scientist.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 PM

well... once upon a time... a looooong looooong time ago... fame was something you garnered by a being a complete amazing bad ass at something. you got it for your skill, it was earned, and you could be a respectable celeb. Not so much these days.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well... once upon a time... a looooong looooong time ago... fame was something you garnered by a being a complete amazing bad ass at something. you got it for your skill, it was earned, and you could be a respectable celeb. Not so much these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think fame used to be awarded solely on merit? Seems kinda naive
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 PM

I'm real bad at searching stuff guys and I don't want to make too big a deal out of it. He mentioned somewhere his co-ownership of 2p2 and how the reason he posts as much as he does was to encourage hits.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, depending on how it's done. It goes without saying that Skansky authored posts will attract more hits. I see nothing wrong with his posting to increase forum popularity.

Another thing is that this is just my personal opinion. I just think it's kinda degrading for someone of his stature in the poker world to be publicly discussing the tuitions or other things he pays for to the women he goes out with. Even though I'm sure he meant for that most to be humrous.

Again, I'm mostly kidding, but I've never been someone to be star-struck. I couldn't care less about a poker author's love life, or who this brandi is. When David (or Brandi), start talking about themselves, I get the feeling they think they're more important than they are. And that really irks me for some reason. But I guess some people really are interested in what goes on behind closed doors with these people.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM

10 K buttsecs, yo?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Yeah, that is exactly what i'm saying. I'm saying that once upon a time fame was earned through merit. not solely, but mostly. only in the last 100 years has it been drastically different. thats why in history books there are less marie antoinettes and more washingtons, churchills, einsteins.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 PM

well, i think its more degrading to hide who you are and the decisions you make, the truth about our lives, just to impress a bunch of gossip hounds. why shouldn't he be able to say, i do this, and thats my decision, and i stick by it and dont need to defend it to anyone.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funnier/sadder still, is that Sklansky now admits to being paid by Mason for publicly embarrassing himself with these brandi posts for the sake of 2p2.

He has also admitted that the primary reason he starts a thread nowadays is to drum up up "hits" for the site. Personally, I'm a little insulted by this. Here I thought I was taking part in discussions of mutual interest with David. Now I've learned our exchanges have been little more than a ruse to increase 2p2's ad rates. As a result, I've been posting MUCH less lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is sad in it's own right it doesn't surprise me. I've always thought David had unique ideas and was obviously smart, but seems completely clueless in his social skills. However, that's just the impression I've always recieved from reading his posts.