Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Playing high PP against a maniac..

This is more of a tourney question but I'm posting it in here because I think my strategy would be applicable to cash ring games as well.

Harrington says you should try to win pots early against loose-aggressive players--especially when you're going to be out of position after the flop. He's not very clear but I have to assume he's talking about situations where you know you have the best hand and there are already a fair number of chips in the pot; why would you waste a premium hand on just winning the blinds?

Depending on the stage of the tourney (assume it's time to gamble) I don't agree with this if I'm holding AA or KK-- especially if my singular opponent has shown he will raise with just about any two cards.

I really think in this case if you know you're up against a wannabee Gus Hansen who is likely going to make one play after another at the pot whether he has anything or not and as long as you don't chase him out, the right play here is to check-call his preflop raise, the flop and turn (probably check-raise the river, but you might value-bet it on the rare occasion you think he might check it down) and just take your chances that he gets lucky enough to hit runner-runner with a medium strength or less hand.

The way I see it if he's got a strong hand he's going to call anyway. Ergo you're really only risking letting him draw on discount with his medium strength or less hands. Against AA or KK (assuming he doesn't have an A when I have K's, which is still only a 3-outer) he therefore has to hit 2 outs for a set with an under PP, runner-runner with undercards or runner runner runner with suited connectors.

It seems to me these are remote enough possibilities heads-up that they're well worth risking to induce bluffing and win a big pot. My play also assumes that he probably won't call any big value bets unless he's got me beat.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Playing high PP against a maniac..

omg wtf is with the clutter in HSNL, get this the [censored] out plz
Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 AM

u suck @ poker
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 AM

haha, this post sucks. please switch this too donkaments for dummies forum.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 AM

Adolescent minded cretins with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than [censored] on the new guy. Bet you haven't been laid since the 90's, even-money on whether it was a biological female.

I posted it in here because it's applicable as much to a high stakes cash game as to low or medium stakes or a tourney. I thought I might get better feedback in here than in the lower stakes forums, but obviously I was wrong.

Keep getting felted punks, then when they huck your broke ass out of the slag room at Four Queens you can come in here and try to make other people feel as self-loathing as you instead of actually thinking about the posts and maybe learning how not to get felted.

Thanks for making the new guy feel welcome, you're class all the way.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Adolescent minded cretins with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than [censored] on the new guy. Bet you haven't been laid since the 90's, even-money on whether it was a biological female.

I posted it in here because it's applicable as much to a high stakes cash game as to low or medium stakes or a tourney. I thought I might get better feedback in here than in the lower stakes forums, but obviously I was wrong.

Keep getting felted punks, then when they huck your broke ass out of the slag room at Four Queens you can come in here and try to make other people feel as self-loathing as you instead of actually thinking about the posts and maybe learning how not to get felted.

Thanks for making the new guy feel welcome, you're class all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, u gotta chill. i read this forum but i by no means consider myself at a skill level where i can post here. the only people who really should be posting here are those who have/are playing 25/50nl and above successfully.

admittedly people are a bit harsh at times, but thats coz these forums are more and more getting clogged up with unworthy, and downright useless, posts.

fwiw, this is an elementary general tournament question which has absolutely no similarity to a high stakes online cash game. this post doesn not beling here.

also, lol, do u know who Boosted J is!?! im gonna take a wild guess here and say that he has won a smidge more than you in his poker career [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 AM

so has trey
Old 03-11-2007, 02:40 AM

I don't care who he is.

If I made a mistake I made a mistake, there's no cause to be a total [censored] [censored] about it. So I maybe didn't post it in the best place, big [censored] deal.

I realize poker is pretty much a completely worthless social activity, but I fail to understand why so many players and wannabees go out of their way to act like completely worthless self-loathing human beings.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:54 AM

dude relax... lock this thread
Old 03-11-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care who he is.

If I made a mistake I made a mistake, there's no cause to be a total [censored] [censored] about it. So I maybe didn't post it in the best place, big [censored] deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You x-posted your question in 4 forums at the same time. Maybe if you realized the roles of the different forums you wouldn't have 'made a mistake', but apparently you are too good to lurk a little and learn how the forums work, and instead you have to [censored] up a bunch of forums with questions that are more or less obvious to anyone reasonable intelligent.
Closed Thread