Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: I\'m going to get flamed: Day Job vs. Poker...

Just ride high up to nosebleed no limit, replenish bankroll everytime you stumble along the way.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 AM

I agree that since the poker boom happened, there are a lot of young guys who think poker is a fast road to riches. To anyone getting into poker solely to get rich, I would say think again. I turned pro before the boom, and like many ppl in those days, my reasons for getting into poker were quite different - mainly that I loved the game and the freedom that playing for a living gave me, and hated working a 9-5, getting up early, commuting to work and having a boss to answer to.

I think it's very important to know which camp you fall into. And also, while a degree is certainly good, it is not the be-all-and-end-all. I have a good degree from a good university, but while I did several interesting jobs in the years after graduation, none were very high-paying. A degree doesn't automatically equal (at least here in Europe) some fabulous $100k+ a year job.

If you are thinking about going pro, ask yourself these questions:

1) Am I a winning player?
2) Do I have several months outgoings saved up?
3) If I only earned, say, $40k in my first year, would I think "This sucks, I'm going to get a real job" or "I don't mind at all that I didn't earn that much, because I'm doing something I love for a living". If it's the latter, then go for it. You have nothing to lose but your marbles [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy poker and have fantasized from time to time about playing for a living. But, it's one dream that shouldn't come true. First, I make a very good living in the tech industry (nearly 100k/year) and to make that much at poker would require a ton of hours. Plus, it'd get mind numbingly dull. Poker is fun...as a hobby. My day job is definiately more interesting overall and has a career path which means I have room to shift what I'm doing a little as I progress.

I'd play poker for a living if:
a) I could "work" about 20 hours a week.
b) Make 125-130k in that 20 hours.

Otherwise, the burnout and variance might, quite literally, kill me (ulcers, stress, etc). If I had to crank out 40+ hours a week of poker knowning my family and mortgage rested on my success, I'd turn into a basket case.

Oh, and to someone that asked, yes, I'd miss the day-to-day consistency of a normal job. Coworkers to talk to, days I can just totally slack and get paid, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd only quit your job to play poker if you made $6,000,000+ a year? gtfo
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see any other forum to put this in so I'm hoping it falls under the "views" portion of this forum. Feel free to gang flame me.

I just put up a new blog (shameless plug) and it brought me to the point of wondering what other regular workers and also professional players thought about this (I'm somewhat successful at poker and really have no friends who are pros outside of one who just quit his job and that's only because he's good friends with a successful pro)...

What are the benefits of playing poker? Aside from the money?

What's the hardest thing about turning pro?

Is there anyone who misses the consistency of their day job after turning pro?

All thoughts are welcome and if anyone has any stories about turning pro or going back to a day job, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the replies yet but this would be a good post for psychology. Hopefully you'll get some good replies, though NVG has been pretty BBV lately.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:58 PM

Im 27 and been a "pro" for about a year, but before I quit my job I had been a consistent winning player for over a year, and was playing a ton already.

When I tell people what i do for a living they look at me like I have 4 heads, seriously. I'm a CPA and its something I could go back to in a second If I had to, but I have no real desire to. Even with the games getting tougher over the last year, there is still ALOT of money to be made.

my advice to you is to get alot better before you do this, when you feel you are in the top 5%, and crushing daily then quit yr job.

gl
Old 08-05-2007, 01:20 AM

i love it when people talk about the freedom poker gives u. the "easy" money.

did anyone ever mention u have to "win" first to have freedom?

easy money? i been a pro for over 3 years. its never been "easy". i see people winning easily but i know they cant win in the long run playing like that.

i struggled for the first few years and then broke through and was comfortable for a while and then hit a 6 month bad streak that i am still on. i have dropped down in levels through this slide and now i'm down to the embarrasing levels and almost broke.

i'm not going to quit till i reach my goals. if i have to, i'll get a job and play cards till i break through again. its an absolute friggin nightmare fellas.

if anyone wants to go pro, go for it but dont buy into this crap about it being easy. its not easy. its not even close to being easy. u have to win more than u lose, pay bills and still survive variance, tilt and people sucking out on u.

i havent met one person who says they r a loser in the long run in poker which means 95% of people r liars. only 5% make a living. i am not happy about almost being busto but i have tried my best and i'm proud that i survived for 3 years without working. its an accomplishment considering its only a 5% window of success.........but yet, almost busto.

hope this helps anyone thats thinking about going pro. goodluck and have fun yet be ready for the possible nightmare ride as well. nothing comes easy in life.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you have to LOVE poker to make a living from it? Do you think bus drivers LOVE bus driving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, bus driving can hardly drive you crazy for months. You know what Poker can do to you during a really bad run of cards... It's easier if you love the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part about driving bus is avoiding all the former pro poker players trying to jump in front of you.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:32 AM

great post paul

[ QUOTE ]
easy money? i been a pro for over 3 years. its never been "easy". i see people winning easily but i know they cant win in the long run playing like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind, most of the people who scoff at how easy it is either A.) grossly exaggerate their success, B.) are running really, really hot right now. But don't tell the 19 year olds who could outplay the world that.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great post paul

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind, most of the people who scoff at how easy it is either A.) grossly exaggerate their success, B.) are running really, really hot right now. But don't tell the 19 year olds who could outplay the world that.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen brother
Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i love it when people talk about the freedom poker gives u. the "easy" money.

did anyone ever mention u have to "win" first to have freedom?

i struggled for the first few years and then broke through and was comfortable for a while and then hit a 6 month bad streak that i am still on. i have dropped down in levels through this slide and now i'm down to the embarrasing levels and almost broke.

i'm not going to quit till i reach my goals. if i have to, i'll get a job and play cards till i break through again. its an absolute friggin nightmare fellas.

if anyone wants to go pro, go for it but dont buy into this crap about it being easy. its not easy. its not even close to being easy. u have to win more than u lose, pay bills and still survive variance, tilt and people sucking out on u.

i havent met one person who says they r a loser in the long run in poker which means 95% of people r liars. only 5% make a living. i am not happy about almost being busto but i have tried my best and i'm proud that i survived for 3 years without working. its an accomplishment considering its only a 5% window of success.........but yet, almost busto.

hope this helps anyone thats thinking about going pro. goodluck and have fun yet be ready for the possible nightmare ride as well. nothing comes easy in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

you must suck