Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Are we calling down too much?

[ QUOTE ]
I on the other hand play more weak/tight (16.8/8.4/1.3) so when I'm betting I usually have a hand. So maybe if I start to play more aggressively the "problem" will partly correct itself and calling down becomes more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because no one at 25c/50c notices how you play. You call down because there's a multitude of really bad players out there who DO try to bluff you or wo severely overplay TP or who do all sorts of other screwy plays that try to get you to fold.

That doesn't mean that there aren't cases where your OP is clearly no good and you can fold - even on the flop.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we start to fold always when we're facing sudden aggression, our opponents will pick up on that too and they'll start to bluff more against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate there is a metagame argument to be made for calling those big pots even if you are 'sure' that it is the incorrect decision.

To play devils advocate though you could take the line of thinking that if by making those folds you open yourself up to bluff attacks from other players then that is additional information that then enters in to your decision making for future hands and allows you to make more calls.

At the end of the day this is an informational strategy and I for certain do not have the ability to make these calculations off the top of my head in the heat of battle (yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) but ideally I would like to be in that situation where I am making these decisions - and thinking through hands like this helps us to do that.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM

the best piece of advice i have been given so far is " dont bluff". Yes, bet out if u have 2 overcards, yes bet if you have Ace high, but have a flush draw, these are semi bluffs, but trying to knock 1, 2 or more ppl off their hand by betting with 72o is pointless. Another piece of advice i have been given is, " at micro limits, ppl bluff a lot less than you think". I think this is very true and something to keep in your mind. Yes, you may come across the odd player who likes to bluff on scare cards, or a maniac who will bet all the way with nothing, but in general if someone donks, or bets, they have the best hand ( or thinks they have the best hand, which i guess isnt quite the same thing). If someone check/calls the flop, and then raises the turn on a safe card, then quite often, he has a monster hand
Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the best piece of advice i have been given so far is " dont bluff". Yes, bet out if u have 2 overcards, yes bet if you have Ace high, but have a flush draw, these are semi bluffs, but trying to knock 1, 2 or more ppl off their hand by betting with 72o is pointless. Another piece of advice i have been given is, " at micro limits, ppl bluff a lot less than you think". I think this is very true and something to keep in your mind. Yes, you may come across the odd player who likes to bluff on scare cards, or a maniac who will bet all the way with nothing, but in general if someone donks, or bets, they have the best hand ( or thinks they have the best hand, which i guess isnt quite the same thing). If someone check/calls the flop, and then raises the turn on a safe card, then quite often, he has a monster hand

[/ QUOTE ]That's exactly my point for calling down less.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You call down because there's a multitude of really bad players out there who DO try to bluff you or wo severely overplay TP or who do all sorts of other screwy plays that try to get you to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]This is what I thought but then I couldn't find any hands to back this up. So I wanted to know if you guys had any hands to back up this "theory". I started to think that it's a myth that there is this "multitude of bad players". (I have to admit that I've only looked into very tiny sample size).
Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's exactly my point for calling down less.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is the case then use that information to determine your options. If you have a strong read on the villain the use it and factor it in to your decision - dont say, "oh he donked 'quite often'- he has a monster, I fold" or "he's probably bluffing, I call".

Your decision should be based on your read and the available information - if you make an incorrect decision than so be it - just so long as you make an informed decision and stick by it.

Your ability to make a BETTER informed decision will improve with experience and thus your earnings will too