Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

One time I took a cab from Red Rock to T.I. The cab dricer jumped on the I215 which would make it really out of the way. We were already on the freeway bedfore I had a chance to say anything. I was distracted w/friends.

Anyway, I mentioned it and she said it wouldn't be much more than a normal fare. $51.95 later I get to T>I. By now I am super pissed. I gave her $52 and asked for my nickel in change. Am I a dueche for that?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the Tunnel vs. slow way conundrum probably is not intended to rip people off. If I understand it correctly, drivers are subject to a huge fine if caught hauling passengers with the meter off. Trying to explain this to the public is a big pain in the ass, so the driver simply takes the faster way. And because of the threat of being caught not running the meter, said driver mentally justifies taking the long way as saving the customer time. Of course, rebating the difference is out of the question as this would ultimately cost the driver even more (since the company will still get their full cut of the tunnel route).

[/ QUOTE ]

DarkForce, I don't follow your comment here. Why would taking the surface route from the airport require the cabbies to carry passengers with the meter off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please clarify. I don't see what longhauling someone has to do with running with the meter off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys,

What I was trying to get at is if the tunnel is the faster, less congested route, an honest driver could in theory create a win-win situation by taking the tunnel yet only charge what the surface route would run. However, because of the possibility of being fined for having the meter off -and the fact that said driver must give the company a larger cut of a fare which he isn't fully charging- the economics of the situation require him to take the surface route if he wants to be honest. He then rationalizes the tunnel route as a price to be paid for the convenience of a speedy arrival.

I was not trying to justify longhauling, but rather examining the possibility of a less sinister motive for taking the tunnel. I actually don't know how big of a time difference the short yet clogged up route entails so I may be totally off base here. Also, I never said there would be any reason to take the shorter route with the meter off.

Cactus Jack,

Thanks for the backup.

Angus,

You are being confrontational and rude in what was an otherwise reasonable discussion. Nobody in their right mind would compare working in the cab biz to the heroic self-sacrifice of firemen. The risks we take are purely to make a buck.

Jack simply mis-quoted a statistic. Quit being a douche.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I was trying to get at is if the tunnel is the faster, less congested route, an honest driver could in theory create a win-win situation by taking the tunnel yet only charge what the surface route would run. However, because of the possibility of being fined for having the meter off -and the fact that said driver must give the company a larger cut of a fare which he isn't fully charging- the economics of the situation require him to take the surface route if he wants to be honest. He then rationalizes the tunnel route as a price to be paid for the convenience of a speedy arrival.

[/ QUOTE ]

DarkForce,

Ah, now I see what you were arguing. Still, I think the driver can avoid the dilemma you pose simply: he can ask the rider whether he prefers the faster route or the cheaper one. If the passenger indeed prefers to take the highway to save time, then the driver does nothing unethical by taking him that way.

I don't think it's true to say the highway route at the surface price would be a win-win, because the cab company loses. The cab company's cut of the fare covers per-mile depreciation for the car and (some posters have said) gas, and the company doesn't get compensated for the extra mileage if the driver doesn't meter the whole fare. Some posters might say that the cab company owners are scoundrels who don't deserve as much as they get, but the drivers and their companies enter into employment agreements freely and, independent of its being illegal, I don't think it's ethical for the driver to breach them by riding off-meter.

Finally, I think in many cases it's empirically untrue that the tunnel/highway route is faster than the surface route, especially if you're going to a resort on the east side of the strip. The freeway route is as much as twice as long, and I-15 itself is certainly not immune to traffic.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time I took a cab from Red Rock to T.I. The cab dricer jumped on the I215 which would make it really out of the way. We were already on the freeway bedfore I had a chance to say anything. I was distracted w/friends.

Anyway, I mentioned it and she said it wouldn't be much more than a normal fare. $51.95 later I get to T>I. By now I am super pissed. I gave her $52 and asked for my nickel in change. Am I a dueche for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If an unrequested tunneling gets you a free cab ride, this BS should get you a free cab title.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I take 215 to Sumerland Parkway to I15 to get to TI from Red Rock, thats the fastest way to go - cross town sucks. The other option is the 215 loop to the south end of the strip and take I15 north - still faster than cross town. Now if the driver took the 215 north to I15 south you need to file a complaint, thats WAY out of the way.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM

I215 to spring mountain. So she was WAY out of the way. If I take a taxi I usually would take Charleston to the strip or some side streets to Dessert Inn/Spring Mountain.

I was really trying not to wig out as I saw how she was going there b/c I planned on playing a long session. Didnt want to tilt b4 playing. Now if make sure I specify.

I am fairly good tipper when taking cabbies on long rides like that. I prolly woulda tipped $5-$7 if she hadnt done that.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM

I am actually surprised to hear drivers hustling for tips though. I have never run into this before and frequent off strip drives. (local w/no liscense). I am also surprised w/how many people give in. If am driver ever tried to hustle a bigger tip I would tip NOTHING AT ALL>!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I215 to spring mountain. So she was WAY out of the way. If I take a taxi I usually would take Charleston to the strip or some side streets to Dessert Inn/Spring Mountain.

[/ QUOTE ]

that will take you 2x a long, and cost the same. Late at night crosstown on Charlston is fine, during the day 215 is the way to go.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 AM

What can an average cab drive make in a day in Las Vegas. If it 's a 50/50 split and they book $300, that's $150 plus tips.

$200 a day isn't that bad for that kind of a job.

Or am I way off the mark here?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 AM

Never been directly hassled for tips but as I always say when i get into the cab at Macarran - if you use the tunnel i will use your tip to pay for it.