Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you like that nearly everyone had some night chat?
(Good Roles) Yes 9 50.00%
(Good Roles) No 4 22.22%
(Evil Roles) Yes 2 11.11%
(Evil Roles) No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Photo radar & speed cameras: Are they in your town? (pic)

A few years back the City of Scottsdale installed cameras at certain intersections to take pictures of red light runners so they could ticket them. Some time later a few towns in the Phoenix area started using photo radar vans that they would park here and there to catch speeders. When someone is speeding past one it'll take a picture of the driver and the license plate and you get a ticket in the mail. My mom (75 at the time got one and she had to go to the 6 hours traffic class to have the ticket expunged. She's still pissed) In the last few weeks Scottsdale has installed 2 permanent radar detection cameras on the main road that I use and it is the last straw for me. If I could get away with it I'd go 'V for Vendetta' on their ass and cut them down with a chain saw.

I can't stop on the road to take pictures of them but I found this picture which is the best I could do:

The one on the road I drive has 2 goggle eyed lights w/ the radar and cameras to take your picture and there is a pole up the road before it to take a pic of your license plate. These things make my blood boil. So, ok you say, I know where they are at least but the sneaks have been sticking a mobile photo radar van in between them for when you speed back up so they can get you that way too. These things were very controversial when they were first installed but the people (sheep that they are) have given up protesting.

Q: You got these things where you live?

Poll:
Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Photo radar & speed cameras: Are they in your town? (pic)

You couldn't speed if you wanted to around here.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:50 AM

As an avid speeder, I loathe them, but I fail to see how they're a "bad idea," especially from a law enforcement perspective.

There was some controversy around here a few years back when it was discovered they had shortened the length of certain yellow lights at around the same time they installed red light cameras at those same intersections. Now THAT is pretty lame and scumbaggish. Much uproar ensued and the yellow light length was switched back.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 AM

hate those [censored] things, [censored] fascist [censored]. wtf like i want to pay for cameras everywhere so johnny [censored] law can collect more ticket revenue to buy himself a new SWAT van. what a [censored] waste of money.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 AM

I am 100% in favor of camera enforcement for red light runners. You azzholes that run red lights are a menace to society and I'm not kidding.

I do not favor the system for catching speeding drivers.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 AM

They're being challenged in the Iowa State Supreme Court because of the way they're writing the tickets. I don't remember what exactly the issue was, but something like varying the amount of the ticket and not following state guidelines on the price of the ticket. I worked as an intern in the traffic department the year they were installing them and the city engineer was excited about it. The one problem I remember him not liking about them was that they can't be considered a moving violation since there is no actual cop present, it was more like a parking ticket than a speeding ticket so he thought a lot of people, if they ever knew that, wouldn't pay them.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 AM

Is this a new thing in the US?

We've had them in the UK for ages, they're everywhere.

We also have ones that measure you're average speed between two points, so that you can't 'slow down for the camera' then speed up again immediately after.

Most satnavs warn you when a camera is up ahead though.

Also, am i correct in thinking that if caught speeding in america you just get fined/go on a speeding course? Or do you get points on your license as well? Over here you get 3 points every time you get caught speeding, collect 12 points and get your license taken away.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 100% in favor of camera enforcement for red light runners. You azzholes that run red lights are a menace to society and I'm not kidding.

I do not favor the system for catching speeding drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, this makes the most sense. running red lights is wayyy worse than speeding as far as being dangerous to yourself and more importantly others.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM

I'm not a big fan of speed cameras. I don't mind the idea so much if they are set to write a ticket 15-20 mph over speed limit (excessive speeding).

Red Light cameras are fine (I'll say this until I get my first ticket in a 'marginal' situation)
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM

My main problem with these is that they're run by a for profit company.

It's essentially free money for the police. The company owns, installs, maintains the cameras. They handle the ticketing and billing.

They deduct a "small" monthy fee, rent on the cameras, and write a check to the police.

Everyone wins here but the people.